What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Look what i found

vft guy in SJ

VFT and Drosera lover
For the first time in months the Home Depot near me had CPs in their nursery. They had 4 fairly good sized Neps so I went ahead and took them all. I believe that 2 of them are ventricosa, not too sure what the others are, but I love the coloration on the pitchers.

hdnep1.JPG

hdnep2.JPG

hdnep3.JPG

hdnep4.JPG

This pot has at least 4 seperate growth points on it
smile.gif

hdnep5.JPG

very nice! looks like when you get some nice pitchers they should start looking like N. 'Miranda' and N. 'Ventrata', never the less, very nice plants

Steve, who is supplying them? Is it Colisantis or Gublers or Little Pot of Horrors? I got a pot of young Neps from H.D., that was supplied by Colisantis and I think they are ventratas.

Very cool VFT Guy!

In fact, it's cool that you posted this because I picked up a couple Neps at one of my local Home Depots yesterday as well. They're supplied by Gubler's but I don't think they're nearly as big as yours. What size pots are those in?

I'll try to get some pictures of my new Neps up today...

Jim, they are from Nurserymens Exchange.

LLeopardGGecko, they are all good sized, 1 has leaves 7 inches long. All are potted in 4 inch pots.

the 1 on the far left looks like N. ventrata. The 1 next to it looks like N. ventrata or ventricosa. The other 2 with the spotted pitchers look identical to 2 plants that I got a while back. They look like they have maxima in them but who knows? All I know is the ones I have seem to prefer highland conditions.
Iwas thinking miranda but don't miranda have long slender leaves that are pointy on the end? The ones I have and you have look like the leaves are shorter and the ends are rounded. Maybe Tony or someone will chime in...

I'm still working on getting my pictures up, but how much did you pay for those Neps VFT Guy?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Oct. 16 2005,8:31)]I'm still working on getting my pictures up, but how much did you pay for those Neps VFT Guy?
I got them for 5 bucks apiece. I figure they are a great deal at twice that so Im very happy with them.

Very nice price for such big Neps! My new Neps are in 3 inch pots and nowhere near as big, and I payed 5 bucks a piece for them. I got ripped off
smile_n_32.gif

Steve, you got a steal on those! They're a steal at 15 bucks! By the way, my vote is ventrata on the non-maxima hybrid (miranda) ones.

Capslock

IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

The first shot is one of the pitchers on one of my new Neps. Anyone know what kind it is?

The second shot is of all my new Home Depot plants. The two on the left are huge D. adelae plants (biggest I've never seen) and the ones on the right are the Neps.

I have 2 of those exact same Nep's. What are they ( the green one with spots )?

-Rail

Hi Everyone,
The only two large scale Nep producers in the US providing plants to the big box stores in large enough quantities, and I include regional liner growers in states such as California, are DeRoose or Agristarts 3. I know DeRoose sells Ventrata and Coccinea as liner plants if you order in large enough quantities. Coccinea is no longer available in the eight inch hanging basket- only Miranda and 'alata' (what we all know as ventrata). They also have the 'tobaica' in smaller sizes. Agristarts would be supplying pure ventricosa, rafflesiana, Judith Finn, and sanguinea.
This should help narrow down the guess work.

for sure its a rafflesiana. i reconize the "horns", body, coloring, leaf shape, and perisotome.

Hey LBC, are you talking about my Nep being the rafflesiana?

By the way, nice to see another Southern Californian growing CPs
cool.gif

Sweet
blues.gif

I've never grown that kind of Nep, so it should be cool to see it develop!

Wow--nice find. I love the D.adelae--they appear very healthy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Oct. 20 2005,1:16)]Sweet
blues.gif

I've never grown that kind of Nep, so it should be cool to see it develop!
i have mine in pure lfs. hey where do you live?

I live in a place called Rancho Cucamonga. I have a few relatives that live in Long Beach.

Back