What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Acclimating s l o w l y...

here are some new pics of my nepenthes highland.  a few of them adapted fast but there are some that have acclimated very slowly...  
this ventricosa pitcher wasnt even there when i got it.  has been growing outside all this time in full sun.
849N_Ventricosa_7_1_.jpg

i dont know if the sun was the cause of this but looks really really nice. spectabilis x veitchii. this pitcher just opend when i got it. i have a pic of the other pitchers but not as nice as the obvious.
849N_Spectabilis_x_Veitchii_7_1_.jpg

849N_Spectabilis_x_Veitchii_4_1_.jpg

heres the whole plant. spectabilis x veitchii
849N_Spectabilis_x_Veitchii_1_1_.jpg

heres the one that has taken a beating since i got it. it has lost all of the 3 pitchers and hasnt produced any since the last 2 leaves. this new one looks promising and the tendril looks healthy too. the waxy coat i think is pretty obvious to me. i cant wait to see it pitcher.
849N_Rajah_6_1_.jpg

here is an alata luzon that i acquired from rubra. the leaves is what i immediatly looked at when i saw it.  i tend to have trouble acclimating nepenthes that have soft leaves. you can "see" the
soft leaves
849N_Alata_Luzon_Highland_2_1_.jpg

849N_Alata_Luzon_Highland_1_1_.jpg

I like the color change on the spectabilis x veitchii.  I recently received one and I'm excited to see how the pitchers develop.

I notice growth in my plants as soon as I pot them up, but it usually takes about 2-3 months for a new pitcher to form.  The only plant that is really taking it's time is N. tentaculata, which also has "soft" leaves.  All of the pitchers died within 24 hrs, and then the plant sat and did nothing for a whole month.  Finally the new leaves are unfolding, but no indication pitchers yet.

Brian

the same for my alata. but only one pitcher looks like its gonna dry up (the one in the backround)

Hey, nice plants!

eh... somewhat for now.:blues:
this is my first "winter" for all my nepenthes and i think we may be getting some light frost but i really cant do anything about that because thats they only place they can stay is outside. i hope spring all of them may show some major improvement and acclimate by then for sure......:blues:

Well you might want to at least try and do something about it. Would be ashame to damage or even loose some of all these new plants you've been getting lately. I think the low humidity has alot to do with your "slow" acclimation. Just think of a way to raise the humidity around the plants. I think your plants are on your balony in your apartment? Why not constuct a small enclosure out of some 2x4's and some 6mm green house film to try and protect the plants from a harsh winter.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Flip_Side_the_Pint @ Oct. 20 2005,11:37)]Well you might want to at least try and do something about it. Would be ashame to damage or even loose some of all these new plants you've been getting lately. I think the low humidity has alot to do with your "slow" acclimation. Just think of a way to raise the humidity around the plants. I think your plants are on your balony in your apartment? Why not constuct a small enclosure out of some 2x4's and some 6mm green house film to try and protect the plants from a harsh winter.
thanks for the concern  
smile.gif

but i really dont like enclosures myself so i feel like enclosing my nepenthes would be wrong, like wouldnt letting them grow where they want agaisnt 4 sides( an enclosure such as a growth chamber or a green house not includind the top or the bottom).  
anyways, i am limited on space as of right now and the most recent thing i just did was to place i think 11 nepenthes under shade cloth, well atleast the lowlanders that i have outside and the smaller highlanders.  the  most recent nepenthes are the ones to go there first.  the shade cloth altleast helps me with blocking the wind some and that dreaded afternoon shade.  so jess, at least now you dont have to worry about my plants being in full sun, im trying to stay away from that now with few exceptions.  
smile_o_32.gif

i could use steves method, to use terrariums for thoes small 3" plants till they grow to block off the wind and raise the humidy more.  for the larger ones, i could use trays and fill them with water, sound better?
smile_m_32.gif

it would be sad that i lost a plant to this but i have no choice but to grow them like this or not to grow them at all.  its all about the space for me right now but till move to a better place, thing will change.  
btw havent lost one yet
smile.gif

a green house/chamber is wrong? LOL the accidental comedian ;)

If it grows lush healthy nepenthes, I'm all for it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Flip_Side_the_Pint @ Oct. 21 2005,8:33)]a green house/chamber is wrong?
no, just not my method

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Brian_W @ Oct. 20 2005,11:50)]I like the color change on the spectabilis x veitchii. I recently received one
Same here, just six weeks ago. In the beginning, I was reluctant to get it (I'm not really into those Rococo peristomes), but now the plant has produced its fifth gorgeous pitcher, and what I REALLY love about this hybrid is the overall orange hue the entire plant gives off, what with the reddish leaves, orange pitchers and all. Kinda paints its whole surroundings in a pinkish-orange light...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hans Breuer @ Oct. 21 2005,7:33)]what with the reddish leaves, orange pitchers and all.
i was starting to think it was a bad thing but i guess not.  i received mine with green leaves and now they are turning reddish.  mine does have a more pinkish color instead of orange though

here are some of the plants that i have outside that have produced sideshoots.

ventricosa red with two basals
849N_Ventricosa_9_1_.jpg

sanguinea that the tip died and two new growth points have emerged
849N_Sanguinea_8_1_.jpg

same sanguinea but i never expected to see this.  it came from deep beneath the lfs
849N_Sanguinea_7_1_.jpg

and is this a neactar bar for ants?
smile_l_32.gif

849N_Ventricosa_8_1_.jpg

Back