What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowland neps

Jess asked to see my lowlanders. He is quite the lowland junkie. I prefer highlanders myself. Sorry, many of my Neps are recovering from transplanting and being in their old potting mix for too long, but here are a few to tide you over.

My grow chamber
398lowland_chamber.JPG

rafflesiana
398raff_PM.jpg

assorted
398medusa.JPG

nice angle, poor focus
398binoraf.JPG

one more bical
398bical_1.JPG

Your plants are looking great!

Nice chamber too. What is it constructed out of? You're bical is getting mature enough to house some ants in its tendrils
biggrin.gif
Can't wait to see more once they settle in.

Is your chamber outside? hows it holding up to this rain?

thanks,
jess

Nice medusa ya got there! How old is it?

I've only had the Medusa for a couple weeks. No idea how old it was when I got it.

It is one of those mini greenhouses made of aluminum and polycarbonite sheets, (I think). I could have placed it better as it gets direct sun in the summer but not in the winter. I did have some lattice overhead blocking some of the sun and it faces east, so never any afternoon sun. I'm thinking about adding more lights. The rain doesn't really bother it at all.

hey jess, why dont you pay a visit to steves house or something so you can get a better look

Nice plants. I'm going to set up a lowland chamber some day. Is the large white thing a humidifier, or does it provide heat?

Brian

I think its a radiator brian ;)

Yes, it's a Walmart special oil-filled radiator. Recently put a tray full of water on top of it to try to improve the humidity.

You plants looks great srduggins! How long did it take to become that "large" ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Yes, it's a Walmart special oil-filled radiator.

That's what I thought it was. I might try a similar setup, having the radiator hooked up to a thermostat. For humidification, I use an ultrasonic humidifier hooked up to a humidistat.

Brian

Uh, which one? The raff, since it is the only one with my thumb for perspective? I have been growing that plant for 5 years. It came out of tissue culture in 1999. I'm really not good at growing plants quickly. I believe I have just recently improved my horticultural practices with a better potting mix and foliar feeding, (Thanks Drew), so I'm hoping to become much better at it.

I got the bical last year from Black Jungle. The pitchers are not much bigger than when I bought it as they first got smaller after it arrived.

Actually, the thermistat on the radiator works pretty well. I've had it in there for a few years and only recently had to turn it up a little. Minimum temperature is consistantly 75 degrees.

How often do you have to fill your humidifier with water? I had one in there at first, but it was too much of a pain to keep filling it with water and keeping it clean.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (srduggins @ Oct. 20 2005,8:23)]I believe I have just recently improved my horticultural practices with a better potting mix and foliar feeding, (Thanks Drew), so I'm hoping to become much better at it.
HEY!!! WHAT ABOUT MEEEE!!!!!
havent ive done enough teasing?
smile_l_32.gif

hey SRduggins, what kind of humidifier did you try? I use water from my RO/DI (5 stage
biggrin.gif
) system for my humidifier and rarely have to clean it (maybe once a year?) But it recently broke maybe do to age, but I suspect because I droped it when I was filling the water tank (opps). Santos don't worry you just started growing I suspect SR has been growing just alitte longer then you...

I don't remember much about the humidifier. Probably 4 years ago. Just that it came from Walmart and had two water tanks on the sides. Now that I think about it, it may not have been an ultrasonic one. Plus the humidistat it came with wasn't very accurate.

Now when it gets dry, (Santa Anas), I just flood the bottom with tap water. Seems to help, and the chlorine gas that escapes just might be keeping the chamber free from fungus.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Flip_Side_the_Pint @ Oct. 20 2005,11:44)]Santos don't worry you just started growing I suspect SR has been growing just alitte longer then you...
laugh.gif
smile_m_32.gif

Back