What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (neps @ Oct. 29 2005,1:53)]... and X kinabaluensis. ...
If I get a chance to photograph it again sometime soon, I'll try to post a new image (if some of you would care to see it again).
Hi Jeff,

of course there is someone wanting to see a picture of this plant as well!

Be careful always to use two thermostats in series for such equipment! If the main thermostat fails the temperatures easily go below freezing levels - and there won't be much left from your plants afterwards. A very simple but extremely reliable one like the ones used in a fridge should be safest.

Cheers Joachim

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Be careful always to use two thermostats in series for such equipment! If the main thermostat fails the temperatures easily go below freezing levels - and there won't be much left from your plants afterwards. A very simple but extremely reliable one like the ones used in a fridge should be safest.

You're absolutely right, Joachim! An excellent point, and one I neglected to mention!

Hello Jeremiah,

You said:
I would strongly advise not putting N. hamata, N. lowii, N. ephippiata, or N. glabrata in the freezer

Why,Cos it's too cold for those Nepenthes ?
Which temp. do you suggest for Hamata or Glabrata for exemple ?
Does 5 C (41 F) will be correct ?

And you said:
A few other that did well in the freezer are N. jacquelineae, N. muluensis, and N. macrophylla.

Do you see other Pitchers plant ?, cos i was thinking about Inermis or Dubia too.

Thanks a lot for your opinion.

regards,

Kinabalu

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I would strongly advise not putting N. hamata, N. lowii, N. ephippiata, or N. glabrata in the freezer

Why,Cos it's too cold for those Nepenthes ?
Which temp. do you suggest for Hamata or Glabrata for exemple ?
Does 5 C (41 F) will be correct ?

And you said:
A few other that did well in the freezer are N. jacquelineae, N. muluensis, and N. macrophylla.

Hope you don't mind if I attempt to answer your question. I cannot speak for Jeremiah, but I can tell you why I don't grow the plants you listed (NN. hamata, lowii, ephippiata, glabrata, and macrophylla) in a freezer. Simply put, it's too cold. These species seem to do quite well, in my experience, with overnight lows of 10 to 12 C (50 to 54 F), possibly even a bit warmer. Daytime highs are around 30 C (86 F). I've been growing all these species for years quite successfully with this temperature regime, so it seems reasonable to assert that it will work for you, too.

However, NN. jacquelineae and muluensis are grown in the freezer to provide the very cool nights which I've found them to need. I do not keep them as cool as N. villosa, though; typically, overnight lows are in the neighborhood of 5 C (41 F).

Hope that this information is helpful to you.

Thanks a lot Neps, you see, i had nearly already the answer before my question. But you gave to me some important informations. Nice from you.
Now, i would like to make something similar as Jeremiah. But i have some questions before, and if you could help me, it will be great.
About my future freezer,(86cm X 80cm X 64cm) i'm making myself some questions, and i didn't find the answers yet:

- firstable about the light, what kind of system do you suggest ?
HPS, MH, or Fluo-compact? Cos the problem, when i climbed the Mount Kinabalu, the light at 2500 -3000m was very strong, with hard full sun. So the light, seems to be very important for Highlands, like the cool night.

- About he thermostat I'm interested in fact for temp around 12° or 15° by night. So as it's a freezer, the temp will begin at 0° then will rise to 15° normaly....so i need a very good insulation from the glass, which settle on the freezer ?
So, could you tell me how i can "close" well good the top of the freezer  where will be the light, to keep a good insulation by night ?

-About the water. As i would like to use an automatic misting system, which system will you see to aspirate the water from the bottom to outside the freezer ?

- And, which Nepenthes could like very well temp around 12° or 15° by night ?

Obviuosly everyone could give some informations, and it will be very kind.

Thanks a lot,

Regards,

Kinabalu

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]firstable about the light, what kind of system do you suggest ?

I use fluorescent lamps, usually 80 to 160 W.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So, could you tell me how i can "close" well good the top of the freezer where will be the light, to keep a good insulation by night ?

Foam rubber weatherstripping works well here, and I don't use
glass for the cover. Try plexiglass, instead. It's lighter, easier to cut, and safer to handle.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]About the water. As i would like to use an automatic misting system, which system will you see to aspirate the water from the bottom to outside the freezer ?

I don't think you'll need a misting system. I've never used
one, having found that humidity is usually sufficient inside.

I'm orderng two thermostats today and I need some help in figuring out how to hook them up so if one goes out the other will back it up. How might th thermostat fail? From water maybe, but I though it was water proof. Thanks

Hi Cprus. If you are still looking for aristolochiodes and villosa, send me a pm. I can help you out.

Back