What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Took some pics today during my lunch hour

I looked at some other pics on EP and it looks like N ventricosa x (truncata x mindanaoensis), but the tag in the pot looks more like N. truncata x (ventricosa x mindanaoensis). Wonder which one is right?

It is! The tag has "a x (ventricosa x ?)" Must be truncata x (vent x mindanaoensis) . Man, I knew I really wanted that hybrid!
mad.gif

Unless the tag is wrong. Happens all the time. Check out the pics on EPs site.

For those of you who like to make jokes

That hybrid is darker than I am!
smile_m_32.gif

Hi Guys
Some great plants there,that last one Truncata x (ventricosa x mindanaoensis) is something else
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Bye for now julian

For those of you who are too lazy to look, here are links to the pictures
vent x (trunc x mind)

trunc x (vent x mind)

So I think either the tag is wrong or the pictures are labelled wrong. Interesting to note the differences between very similar hybrids. I guess the question could be answered by noting which one looks more ventricosa and which one looks more truncata. Of course the actual variation in the seedlings may be more diverse than these two pictures anyway, so unless you get that clone, who knows what you'll end up with.

very nice pics steve! now the bad thing is that you have to hold off on that
laugh.gif

According to the website where I found the pic., the plant is N. truncata x (ventricosa x trusmadiensis). It was awarded "Best Hybrid Nepenthes" in the VCPS 2004 Show.

Like Steve said, it can be hard to pin this down. Especially since this is a complex hybrid, with 4 species involved.

Oops! I forgot to give the web address for the VCPS:

http://www.vcps.au.com/

"I'm confused...wait, maybe I'm not."

I apologize for the error above...must have "trusmadiensis on the brain".
The parentage according to the VCPS page is N. truncata x (ventricosa x minandaoensis).

Sorry guys,
KPG

Knew I was right.
smile.gif
It must be a darker clone of the cross.

Well, I'm still not sure. I would think that the people selling the cross would have the picture labelled correctly, but could have mistakenly sent the wrong stake or ... so the people receiving the plant would just assume it was labelled correctly. The dark pitcher looks more like ventricosa is dominant and the other one looks more like truncata is dominant. What do you think? I think I've already put too much thought into a plant I'm not likely to find on the market.

Back