What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to preserve pitchers

I also tried to preserve pitchers in many ways. Covering them with glue (after a while you just see the glue and no more pitcher under it), transparent paint (if used on fresh pitchers, even water-based paints will burn your subject within half an hour)...the method that seems to work better is simple, plain salt. The pitchers remain under salt - inside and outside - for a very long period and when they come out the result is quite good. The problem is that they seem to loose the original color after a few months. Probably using some transparent paint after they come out of the salt...
if you want to try and tell me your results...it would be a great way to have a personal tridimensional herbarium, a part from many other positive sides...

check here, this pitcher is 40 days old: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph.....src=ph

Marcello

Perhaps some kind of wax for preserving flowers can be used for pitchers too? It has to be transparent after solidifying. If you have access to some silica gel, that could be helpful for removing humidity, too. It is also perfect to store things in silica gel filled polyethylene boxes...check your laboratory dealer... ;)

That looks great. All the features are preserved.

Brian

Hey that's pretty darn cool! I could think of a lot of uses for something like that: selling to people who don't know what it is (
smile_n_32.gif
), terrarium decoration, part of a floral arrangement, or any other number of things... I think it turned out quite nicely, congrats.
smile.gif

Hi Marcello,

Have a look at my thread on casting and embeddin plant parts in resin. I am in the process of learning how to immortalise plant tissue in a resin. However, the factor of heat is the cause of discolouration during curing time. Whilst the cephalotus pitcher was a lucious green/red it got cooked and the coloured parts turned yellow. The white parts remained white however. There are photos in that thread.

Cheers,
Christian
smile_m_32.gif

Chris, what happens if instead of leaving the pitcher in a ball/square of resin, you just submerge the pitcher in the hot resin and then take it out? a part from the color that will go away, at least we could have the pitcher not "imprisoned"..

I could also add some uses like: museum collections, herbarium collections, selling souvenirs, compositions, put on display during cp shows or open days, or you could leave them hanging from the wall instead of a lion head
smile.gif

Marcello

Hi Marcello,

I have updated the casting and embedding thread with a couple of nep pictures in resin.
I am in the process of 10 experiments, one being brushing the resin onto the pitcher and another by just dipping the pitchers in resin then allowing the excess to drain and dry. Although, it was tedious getting an even coating on the interior of the pitcher, the brush seemed to work better.
Please note the resin is not hot, but becomes warm while curing. Although if you add catalyst to speed up the curing process, it does get quite hot.
The reason I imprison the pitchers is for protection. If I was to only brush the resin onto the pitcher and interior, it would become brittle.

I am making alot to bring to the Victorian CP show in december, Australia this year.
smile_m_32.gif

Cheers,
Christian

Looking forward to seeing them at the show Christian. Hopefully they maintain their colour as they appear to be quite impressive at the moment. Keep us updated as they harden off.

Hi Sean,

That's a good point. I could possibly dry the pitchers over a period of two weeks to preserve colour although they won't be as vibrant, unless others have another alternative.
I experimented with a butterfly that just dropped dead off a leaf. The resin has almost cured as I added a good dose of catalyst. Although the exoskeleton remains, the orange in the wings also remains. Why do you think this is?

Cheers,
Christian

I am also trying to preserve pitchers like Marcello is also trying to do.For the moment they are kept dry under salt.
The problem is when I will take them out.
Asking to painter here in Italy he told me to buy some sort of liquid that is used in hospital to preserve human parts...
Is this a good idea that will valid for long time?
Anyway, is there another metod to preserve also pitchers without having to keep them in a box closed?
Please help us and try yourself all possibilities!
Thanks!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

I started my first experiments to dry pitchers in desiccants. Will post pics later!

Very Nice JanW!
let's makes many tries to see how far we succed to arrive!
I will post also my pictures as far I will have some results...
Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Hello to all!
After asking to help me here and there to everyone someone has showed me how to preserve really pitchers!
Look at this!
It is not nice?
Bye!
Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY
cena_dic05_19.jpg

Back