What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How cold is too cold?

I'm new to CP's and now that the seasons are beginning to change, I'm wondering how cold is too cold for lowland nepenthes?
See my site for specific varieties if needed.
Carnivorous Plant Index

Hi Mesial

Welcome to the forums!  
biggrin.gif
 Good to have a new addict...I mean, member around.  
smile_l_32.gif

I am going to move your topic to the Nepenthes forum where it will have more exposure to nep growers.  But I'm going to leave the original topic listing in General so people can say hello.

BTW...you might want to mention how and where you are growing your plants currently so people can determine if a change needs to be made.

For a "newbie", you sure have some niiice plants.

I hope you enjoy your new addiction, I mean, hobby.  
smile.gif

Suzanne/PAK

I live in Tarpon Springs, FL, near Tampa. Plants are grown in clay pots, outdoors, under a Florida scrub oak where they are recieving scattered light for most of the day with about 1/2 hour to 45 mins. of direct light in the early morning.

I'm just need to know at what point to bring them inside this winter.

Hi Mes,

The "general" temp tollerance for lowlanders that I go by is keep them over 80 days and 65 nights. Now this is fairly general. Just looking at you nep list from your link, most of them look like highlanders, anyway.

The albo, however, is a lowlander that I've found doesn't mind the occasional drop into the high 50's...but long term it's still not good.

The trick with lowlanders is the really need hot days to thrive, with a few exceptions (like Bical), they don't mind suffering a few nights below typical lowland temp ranges.

If you're in danger of 40's though, get those suckers inside!

I think Albomarginata should have at least a drop into the low 60s to thrive..

My Nepenthes ramispina handled being outside for 2 weeks with night lows in the upper 30's low 40's with 2 nights of frost. Tho, I wouldn't recomend it. I was just drawing a blank as to where I was going to put all my plants inside.. I need more windows..

For the less picky Nepenthes, i'd say that mid sixties at night and high seventies during the day would be the absolute low. Mid seventies at night, and mid eighties during the day would be best. RH around 50%-70% if you can manage it.

Back