What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One of my home depot neps

I bought this Nep at Home Depot a few months ago and it's been pitchering like mad! It must really like my conditions (or I'm just lucky-I'm sure that's the reason!). I'm still not sure what species it is though. Anyone have any idea? Here's a shot of the whole plant:

WholeNep.jpg

Here's a shot of one of the pitchers:

JustThePitcher.jpg

By the way, sorry for the bad picture quality. I was in a rush when I took these

The picture quality wouldnt be too much of an issue if the photos weren't so large. Approx 2000 x 1500 pixels is way too big to be appreciated as they should.

Thanks for the suggestion on picture size Seandew.

Both pictures are better sized now. Hope that helps!

(Maybe) you're just really good at growing CPs! I think that's it.

Good growing! I don't know whether it'll tolerate sitting in water for much longer though! (unless you just watered it)
smile_n_32.gif

Cheers

Haha, yeah, I just watered it so no worries. The water usually evaporates within a day or so.

Is it a ventrata?

I dont know anything about Nep's but that sure is a pretty little plant, to bad my Home Depot dont carry plants like that nothing around us carries any plants like that.
smile_h_32.gif
Yours has alot of pitchers on it, you must be doing something right.. Awsome plant LLeopardGGecko...
smile_m_32.gif

It might be N. 'Gentle'
Here is a picture of a basal shoot off mine.  The pitchers have red blotches like yours but didn't show up in the picture.
Picture161.jpg

-Nick

[b said:
Quote[/b] (*Barracuda_45* @ Oct. 30 2005,7:39)]...you must be doing something right...
maybe he just got it like that? but still nice plant with alot of pitchers!!

Oh, it wasn't this good looking of a plant back when I got it.

Therefore it HAS to be my amazing skills
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

The plant is still young, hard to tell what its crossed with. I would guess its a N.maxima hybird. I would suggest sitting you're plant in water, over head watering is alwas you're best bet.

Drew - Mcclain

I've seen N. sanguinea at the home depot here. They also get N. ventrata.

Brian

I've also seen N. Venricosa at Lowe's. None of the Home Depots near me offer CP's.
smile_h_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mesial @ Nov. 02 2005,9:03)]None of the Home Depots near me offer CP's.
smile_h_32.gif
smile_h_32.gif
smile_h_32.gif
Same thing here our Home Depot dont carry CPs nither let alone a very poor selection of regular house plants, we dont have a Lowes.
smile_h_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (*Barracuda_45* @ Nov. 02 2005,9:04)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (mesial @ Nov. 02 2005,9:03)]None of the Home Depots near me offer CP's.
smile_h_32.gif
smile_h_32.gif
smile_h_32.gif
Same thing here our Home Depot dont carry CPs nither let alone a very poor selection of regular house plants, we dont have a Lowes.
smile_h_32.gif
Same with the Home Depots around our place too! And all the CPs at Lowe's are dead. It's so ironic how Lowe's takes care of the CPs because they have it right on the advertisement "Watch these plants catch insects! Make sure it is in water! Easy to grow!" and yet, they have every single one of the pots standing in a cardboard box. How are they going to expect to sell any that way?

These places, unless they just happen to have an employee who is like one of us, don't know squat about taking care of them. Those Lowes cubes are never opened. The idea is to bing 'em in and move 'em out as quickly as possible. If they hang around long enough, they die. They also go into shock if you open them and put them into significantly different enough conditions. Best to buy cubes and other garden center plants immediately after the store receives them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]They also go into shock if you open them and put them into significantly different enough conditions. Best to buy cubes and other garden center plants immediately after the store receives them.

So very true. The two beautiful D. adelae plants I bought recently at Home Depot are having a really hard time adjusting to my conditions. They were so huge and green and dewy when I bought them, and now they're struggling to even put out a leaf with any dew on it
smile_h_32.gif

What's strange is that I've found some of the Neps I've brought home from Home Depot have absolutely NO trouble adjusting to the new conditions (same thing with a few of my Home Depot Spoonleaf Sundews), while other CPs have a hard time.

Don't N. ventricosa's juvenile pitchers have those rows of teeth like that?

Back