What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It keeps getting better and better

this jac hybrid has to be my favorite nep that i grow. each pitcher is better than the last.if you said the smaller one was pitcher #1, the other is pitcher #3 in order of what its put out for me. cant wait to see what it will put out next.

669b9b04.jpg

056f2758.jpg

aa5e6f1b.jpg

Nice!
I also love seeing the plants mature.
Every pitcher is 1 step towards maturity
biggrin.gif

WOW!!! Thats a very BEAUTIFUL plant the colors are so breath taking...
smile_m_32.gif

Great looking plant, Rattler. Thanks for sharing! BE is still offering that cross, so I hope it becomes available in the US again.

Good growing,
KPG

i know some ppl over on the CPUK forums have recently purchased the hybrid as small plants over in Europe so i do know its still around. IIRC my particular plant is one of the first out of TC so its older than most floating around. i should email BE and ask if there are several clones. i havent been able to find any pics other than mine and the one photo Tony has on his site and the photo on BE's site. i really want to compare plants but its been a futile effort so far.

Well, in BE's latest price listing, N. jacquelinae x izumiae is described as "all different from seed".  I'm sure if you e-mail Rob Cantley at BE, he can fill you in on your TC plant.

I imagine within a few years many people will be blooming N. jaquelinae...can't wait to see more hybrids!  Supposedly the plants of N. jacquelinae originating from Gunung Gadang are more vigorous than earlier offerings?

KPG

i would say Jeremiah Harris's jac is probably a year or two from flowering though im not sure how large a mature plant is but i have a feeling his is starting to get close. im really ot sure how you would improve on the original jac though. i prefer its looks to my hybrid, i just dont have the pure species yet.

as far as BE's comment on "all different from seed" it must mean they have several clones in TC i think? otherwise why would my plant be so much older than most of the others? i think the hybrid came from a one time collection of seed though i could be wrong.

Well, I'm not sure, Rattler, but I think you are right.  I have a printed copy of the previous price list, and it states "assorted clones from seed".
A little confusng.

I do know that in "Nepenthes@Borneo Exotics", Rob Cantley states that the plant appeared in a batch of seedling they were raising from collected seed and that it was a natural hybrid, although they hadn't seen it in the wild.

In any case, it's a beautiful plant.

KPG

i shot them an email. prolly have the correct answer in the morning. if they dont have it in TC i have a hard time explaining the huge differance in age of the plants in the hands of the growers ive talked to. i know my plant is older than most out there but thats about it at the moment. i should dig through my email and see if i asked Tony after i got it.

Rob says they are all seed grown plants, looks like none in TC at this point in time, atleast with BE.

Interesting, Rattler. Glad to see BE is still raising them. Hopefully I'll be able to get one through a US distributor. It's a very fine plant.
KPG

Ooh! Old posting but I've only just stumbled across it. Great photos!

If anyone's stil interested, I kept a few back for my collection but none of them look like the photos above. No doubt the photo is the same hybrid all right, but the ones here are all more like N. izumeae with nearly black pitchers and less of the characteristic N. jac shape to them. That's a lovely plant in the photos, do you have any more pitchers on it by now?

We have 48 clones of N. jac in TC and are only just now growing them out to see what color forms we have. With luck perhaps one of them will turn out to be that hybrid. Knowing my luck all 48 will turn out to be all green N. jac.
smile_h_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Borneo @ Mar. 04 2006,10:23)]...Knowing my luck all 48 will turn out to be all green N. jac.
smile_h_32.gif
why the sad face! that green one is suppose have lager pitchers than the colored ones!

Well, green, red, orange, my point is that they will probably all be the same knowing my luck. We've had that happen before with other species against amazing odds.

Back in November rattler_mt wrote
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i know some ppl over on the CPUK forums have recently purchased the hybrid as small plants over in Europe so i do know its still around
Well, I'm one of those people, so here's my plant
smile.gif

jacxizu1.jpg

jacxizu2.jpg

Hopefully the pitcher will color up when it opens in a few days. Like Rob's plants, mine seems closer to izumiae than jacquelineae
Cheers,
T.

if i find my digitl cam ill take more pics Rob. mine is getting darker now. its pitcher now is a dead ringer for my bongso color wise, black peristrome, purple pitcher.

Tony, i would swear we had two different crosses going by your pics, infact without Robs comments i would have a hard time believing they were the same cross they are way different

Rattler,
I'll be honest, mine looks close to a pure izumiae to me, except it's maybe a bit paler. But if it's from a jacquelineae seed pod then it obviously it can't be.
I'll be interested to see what it looks like when it's fully open.
Cheers,
T.

Rattler, your looks like the ones we have here. Bongso colouration exactly fits the description IMO but you can still see the N. jac heritage in the pitcher shape.

Tony C, I wonder if you would PM me and let me know where that plant came from please? Doesn't look like a hybrid to me. The hybrids we shipped were raised from seeds of N. jac and then picked out when we discovered that some of the seedlings were not true N. jac. We were originally alerted by a US Distributor who took the first batch of supposed N. jacs when they were very tiny and then later noticed a few hybrids amongst them.

edit: sorry no mistake!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Borneo @ Mar. 05 2006,9:55)]We were originally alerted by a US Distributor who took the first batch of supposed N. jacs when they were very tiny and then later noticed a few hybrids amongst them.
Just like your N. lowii Rob?
smile_m_32.gif

Back