What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Basal shoot growing

I have a basal shoot on my N. x ediensis. It didn't start growing until 2 months when I first noticed it. It's 3rd leave is going to send out a pitcher, I thought basal shoots didn't grow unless you chopped the plant. I haven't chopped my plant or anything and it's still growing. Can I leave the basal shoot on or will the extra pitchers be helpful to the plant, add more nutrition?

I prefer to leave them on, unless I can trade it for something else. Then I usually cut the vining part instead, as the basal tends to grow bigger than the original vine, (at least when you leave it attached). But many people differ on their views, as I'm sure you'll soon see.

Basal shoots can grow at any time. I usually leave them on. You can take one off if you want though. It keeps it less cluttered.

I decided that I'm going to leave it on, it's starting to grow pretty fast :p, but I doubt it will be bigger than the vine.

Yeah, basal shoots sometimes grow faster than a seed grown plant. I've noticed that with a few of mine.

I don't mean taller, but larger leaves with larger pitchers.

I think my plant is a cutting, since it's a cultivar...I think?

Back