Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: N. macrophylla on a windowsill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe,

I have no idea whether anyone has done any serious experimentation on this point. I'm sure there'd be a sweet spot of warm v. cool temps, and it may have something to do with hours of light and dark, as plants photosynthesise during the warm periods when it is light, and do whatever it is they do in the cool, dark period. In the tropics, days and nights are pretty much 12 hrs / 12 hrs. There may be some correlation between the amount of cool time and the length of time before they start to decline in poor conditions. For example, 1 hour of cooling may make them last an extra month in very warm conditions, 2 hours they last an extra 2 months, etc.

It also depends on the size of the plant - seedlings are much less forgiving of less-than ideal conditions because, being small, they have poor energy reserves. Large plants have larger stores to rely on, so they last longer before petering out.

In cultivation, I would hazard a guess that having cooling on for at least 6 hours would do the trick long term. I grow seedlings of ultrahighland species during summer by putting them in the fridge when I go to bed and taking them out first thing when I get up, which is usually 7-8 hours, and that appears to be more than sufficient.
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, everyone.

Since i got the greenhouse up and alive again, i've decided it'll just be a lot simpler to put macrophylla in there after all.

Thanks for the help tho!
    Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123