What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Judith finn

I have a N. judith finn and it's growing well and everything, but the pitchers just won't swell. Do I need to apply ice at night or something?I'm growing it ina hanging basket with peat/perlite and topdresssed with lfs, not the green kind and the same problem applies to my bongso and it's in a pot with peat/perlite and topdressed with live lfs. I grow them outdoors.

I had the same problem with Judy. Better lighting solved my problem. I was growing it inside under fluorescent and I moved it outside under 50% shade cloth with some late afternoon direct sun. Low humidity could also be the problem. Plants can also take some time to adjust to new environments

My Judy seems to love lowland conditions. I had it in an intermediate setup for a while with only a few small pitchers, but when I stuck it into a heated tank, it took right off. The pitchers are longer than the leaves now. I've also heard that this hybrid is really tempermental and takes time to adjust to new conditions. I have mine five or six inches from four 40 watt, four foot fluorescents. I use a seedling mat to heat a ten gallon tank lined with live sphagnum on the bottom. The temperature stays between 65 and 80 degrees F. I have a tight lid that keeps the air around 65 to 90 percent relative humidity. Best luck.
~Joe

Low humidity is usually the main culprit, sometimes associated with not enough light (but you get etoliation as a sign of that) and temps that are too cool (but again, you often get small pitchers if there's enough humidity and light). I'd also say that I wouldn't recommend the peat/perlite mix, I believe it is too dense for Neps and compacts over time. There are a variety of other media which are airy and well draining which suit them much better like LFS, and mixtures that include bark chips, coconut husks and coir fibre, fine orchid bark and there's also a variety of norganic substances that have been used with success.

Hamish

Mine are in the basement under lights in tanks, and are growing like monsters!
I would say ...makes a very good intermediate, at least for me.

Cheers,

Joe

I grew (past tense) my Judith Finn in lowland conditions, South Florida, outside. It was one of my fastest growing plants, eating like a pig and the heat/humidity did not seem to bother it in the slightest. I'd be inclined to agree with srduggins that light is probably your issue.

Back