What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.rajah

• Thread starter TyFone
  • Start date
What is the coldest temps it could manage without slowing down (chock) or dying? can it take lower then 5 C? (41F)
And how high temperatures can it manage? without slowing down or dying.

i dont really know but i can tell you i get about low 50's f witout a problem... with my 6-7" rajah

My N. rajah lives outdoors year round, and the low temp we got last winter was around 40F, and it didn't seem to mind much. It grows slowly out there, but is still healthy and pitchering.

Capslock

Ok..yes I know that because many growers says that it should get down to the 50s at night. but can they take the 40s? And will they survive if the temps hit the 90s?

Low to mid 50s as night temps are recommended. A bit lower or higher shouldn't be a prob.

Daytime temps should be from 75-83 or so. A bit lower is ok, a bit higher maybe, but not recommended as much.

As long as you don't go freeze it, it will be fine.

OK thx for the replies.
One more question. Can it grow as an intermediate in winter for about 4 months without dying to?

Mine took temps down around 37 degrees last winter with day time temps in the fifties and grew fine, though I couldn't really tell if it slowed down or not. I think cold weather and wet potting medium will rot the roots unless the mix is well aerated, so keep it on the dry-ish side if it gets cold. Mine sort of grows as an intermediate during the summer, but it is a nearly constant 60-70 degrees all day and night where I live until September, then it rises to 80 degrees with 20 percent humidity for a few weeks.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TyFone @ Nov. 10 2005,1:28)]OK thx for the replies.
One more question. Can it grow as an intermediate in winter for about 4 months without dying to?
It's advised against, but it may be able to handle it while it is younger. Let's just say it survived summer in my back yard. It got up in to the nineties a few days there, and i was on vacation for a while, and it survived! So definitely as a juvenile it is hardier than usually given credit for, but as it ages it will become less tolerant. I don't know why. If you could keep the humidity higher and the temps as low as possible during those months, that would be better.

Well I read somewhere that if its larger it will be more tolerant to warm weather as it has a larger root system. I dont have to grow it as an intermediate for those months, its more like highland I think.. about 24 C day (inside) and if I open the window in the windowsill it will get about 10 C at night. so its probably easier to keep in the winter then in the summer.

Rajah will grow as an intermediate for a few months, but not long term. The one suggestion I have is grow it in as large a pot as possible, as rajah does not enjoy having its roots disturbed. I've seen mature rajah and lowii killed by being repotted.

Yes I know.. I have large pots so that wont be a problem. Can you give me some advice aobut the soil?

I grow all my highland and intermediate Nepenthes in pure sphagnum moss, and it works well for me. Other media can be used, and it will be influenced by what is readily available in your area. Sphagnum moss is very easy to get hold of where I am, so it's easiest for me. In some countries it's much harder, if not nigh impossible to obtain (or it is prohibitively expensive. Rob Cantley from Borneo Exotics has been using coir and coconut husks with great success.

The general rules for a good Nep mix are: it must be light and airy - Neps roots don't like pushing their way through "soil", they like something easier to penetrate. It must drain well - Neps don't like to be sitting in a soggy medium for extended periods, it rots their roots (so they're not at all like Sarracenia). It helps if the medium holds moisture, because they do like to be moist, and watering plants several times a day is a pain and a waste of water.

Cheers, Hamish

Back