What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep newbie

Just got my first nep from a cube at Lowes, marked down to $2!

I have a copy of Savage Garden, but would appreciate any advice more experienced growers can give. The pitchers on my aqcuisition are dry and shriveled, but the leaves are still pretty healthy looking. I have no idea if this is a 'highland' or 'lowland' nep, the cube just says 'genus nepethes' not that BW has ever been great about labelling stuff anyway.

Thanks all!

It's mostly likely a N.ventrata which is a highland hybrid. 2 bucks , they are just giving it away nowadays
smile_n_32.gif

Savage Garden generally gives good advice. And the neps sold at Lowes and similar stores are selected for being easy and hardy plants. So if you give basic nep conditions, you'll have no problem. I got a fantastic red N. ventricosa from one of these stores, so they can be great plants.

Capslock

It is very likely that it is a ventrata. I have decent success with re-potting them in hanging baskets, a la Capslock & Elgecko.

yes ive gotten a couple of plants from my home depot 2 n. ventratas a cape sundew and a venus fly trap. cool plants that are very easy to care for so its most likely somthing common.

PS its pretty funny that you can find these things for such a small amount of money. Sadly(i guess lol) i have bought all of my plants from home depot/ lowes and they are now in pretty good condition

can you see the color of the pitchers???

Savage Garden typically gives VERY good advice. It's not perfect, but you just try to show me a book that is!

Prolly a N. X Ventrata. Easy to care for highland hybrid. Survived on my windowsill successfully for just about forever. Pretty indestructible.

Use sphagnum mixed with osmunda fiber (that's what i use, and it works great) for the soil.

Water with distilled, deionized, R.O. Filtered, or in other way purified water. They most likely did not do this at the store, that along with fertilizing the soil can lead to smaller or absence of pitchers.

*smiles to self* Different newbies asking the same questions.

Thanks, np. I've gotten other CPs at Lowes, and haven't lost a one. They have been hardy, true. Just thought I'd ask as I'm jumping into a new genus.

No, I can't see any pitchers right now. I had to cut off the dry and brown pitchers it had. No way to tell what they did look like. No rush to determine species, really. I'll just wait and see what happens. Its small, and they all look alike when they are small anyhow.

The cps were all on markdown. Most were basically dead. They were getting rid of a lot of abused houseplants to make way for more Christmas trees. As it was a type I didn't already have, I thought I'd give another rescue a try. We'll see how it goes.

Back