What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lows and highs

CP30

A Cajun(isc) Carnivore
Can someone answer this or point me in the right direction?
I understand that there are highland and lowland versions of both truncata and maxima and I also understand that all are quite tolerant of temperatures/growing conditions. My question is this: How do the highland and lowland plants of each species differ in appearance?
Does any one have pics to compare?

heres my highland truncata. they tend to have bigger pitcher to leaf ratio than the lowlander version
849N_Truncata_Highland_1_1_.jpg

better look at the peristome
849N_Truncata_Highland_5_1_.jpg

this is my lowland truncata.  not much differnce but i think the highlander has a better peristome when its mature.
834N_Truncata_2_1_.jpg

heres my lowland maxima that i have growing outside as a highlander. i dont have any highland maximas but this one does well. this is how one of the first pitchers it looked like when i first got it.
834N_Maxima_1_1_-med.jpg

this is how it looked like after 2 pitchers
849N_Maxima_10_1_.jpg

Highland truncata has several morphological differences to the lowland variety. It is more hirsute, particularly the new growth, which often has an orange down on it. The highland form comes in a multitude of colours, wheres the lowland form has a green pitcher with a red or striped peristome. Some individuals of the highland form have a more grandiose peristome, particularly some of the darker red and purple clones.

Maxima has a huge diversity, and it's not so easy to distinguish between highland and lowland forms, as some of the highland forms are more diverse. Many of the lowland forms are more of a brown colour, and have a narrower peristome.

Hamish

fc3srx713b: Why is the pitcher on a tray? The 3rd picture

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PiranhaPlant @ Nov. 14 2005,2:11)]fc3srx713b: Why is the pitcher on a tray? The 3rd picture
oh it was just for the pic because of the pitcher would slip on the tile...

Back