What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fill pitcher with water?

i heard that many people fill there pitcher half way with water.? is this reccomended, or just non sense

It's not necessary. If your pitchers are drying out, it usually means you aren't watering the plant enough or the air is too dry and the plant is losing water from the pitchers due to evaporation. If the air is too dry or the plant is sick or injured, it will just stop producing liquid in order to conserve energy. I don't think adding water to the pitchers will remedy the problem; I think that's more for when a plant is in acute stress, and it really only helps a little bit. Take a look at the CP FAQ Nepenthes primer. If you give your plant the basic care described in those instructions, it should produce healthy pitchers in a few months.
Best luck,
~Joe

I think that the idea of filling water in the pitchers is after you receive a new plant. Most the time the fluid in the pitcher is dumped out before shipment or lost during shipment.

Welcome to the boards...My friend only fill his when somthing happens like the original liquid dripps out by getting tipped over or the bugs are filled up too much haha.

Back