What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowland nep. + light?

Presto

wicked good plants!
Staff member
hi all,

I got my first nepenthes as a "freebie" when I ordered some VFTs recently.  I'm still trying to work out a good terrarium arrangement.  I got a heating pad yesterday and it seems to really be doing the trick as far as heat and humidity.

It's a baby N. rafflesiana, which is a lowland species.

I also want to put the VFTs in a terrarium.  I know, I know, they should be going dormant this time of year.  but they look like they're knocking on death's door and I want to strengthen them up for a couple of months before putting them in the fridge.

My question is:  will I be able to keep both the nepenthes and the VFTs in the same terrarium?  Specifically, will the N. rafflesiana, as a lowland, tolerate the bright light that the VFTs need?

Well the Death of your VFT is probably because it has to go dormant now. Dont put it in the terraria. Make it go dormant.
I dont know about the light issue.
As far as I know the VFT should have lots and lots of more light then a Nep.

Your nep will do fine in the bright light. The only thing that might happen is its leaves may become partially colored (yellow, red, pink). This is a natural response to bright light.

Back