What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Im a new nep mommy..

*Barracuda_45*

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama
smile.gif
Ok guys well im a new Nep mommy i got my very first one today. Im sooooooooooo excited and its soooooooooooo darn cute and delicate. It has the tiniest pitchers.
smilie4.gif
 Now it did come in alittle cold and im kinda worried about it, i carefully unwrapped it and got a plant pot ready for it, i used what i had, orchid bark chips which i rinsed in hot distilled water/then cooled and then the moss i got in as well spag, also used some canadian peat moss mixed with alittle perlite, tossed it all together and then prepared the pot which is just plastic with lots drain holes on the bottom. I carefully planted it in the middle. I noticed one of the pitchers is browning and not looking good and then the newer pitcher has a leaf thats alittle on the yellow side
smile_h_32.gif
 and then theres a developing pitcher, soooooooooooooooooo flipin tiny i cant get over how precious this plant is. I then waterd it real well with distilled water and now its sitting in my office warming up. One of the leafs that was developing broke off in shipment so i just stuck it in the poting mix, what should i do with the leaf?? Also i want everyones input should i keep it in the mix i made up or go a diffrent route as thats all i had to work with at this time.. Will my new baby be ok after such a cold trip here??
Heres few pics of my new baby.. Sorry for the crappy blurry pics.
smile_h_32.gif

N.Ventricosa Red. Top view
VentricosaRedbabyA.jpg

VentricosaRedbabyB.jpg

VentricosaRedbabyC.jpg

and looky how teeny the pitchers are, this one isnt all the way developed.
newbabypitcherVentricosaRed111805A.jpg

and the open one thats on a yellowing leaf.
newbabyVentricosaRed111805B.jpg

and in this pic you can kinda make out the picther thats turning brown and dying.
smile_h_32.gif

newbabyN.jpg

Ok so hows does my new baby look?? Ya all think its gona be ok? Its no longer sitting in the bowl soaking in distilled water now i have it sitting on top moist spag moss on a tray is that ok for now? Or should i put it inot a terrarium? I know a mil Q's but hey im supose to ask you guys for help.. LOL!!

I also have a N.ventricosa 'red' , at least I think so? Mine is in peat/perlite topdressed with live lfs and I just leave it outdoors and mist it once in a while. The pitchers are usually 4-5 inches high, but the lid doesn't fully open so I have to lift it up.

You can put it into a terrarium if you like, but there's no need. If you want to increase local humidity (which promotes pitchering), just place the pot on top of gravel or LFS that is moist. Your potting mix looks good. Just put it in a bright spot and enjoy!

Just to warn you, some of the pitchers or the older leaves may die due to shipping stress but this is normal.

Everything looks great! It may go through some shock and not look the greatest for a while, but it looks really healthy and none the worse for wear. You didn't say what kind of lighting you're giving it, but if that's good, you should have a nice, fast-growing plant. I love N. ventricosa! Congrats!!!

Capslock

smile.gif
Thanks everyone your the greatest. I am so worried about my new baby. Capslock im gona be keeping it under the same daylight fluorescent compact lights as i have on the sundews. I think this plant will go into my 50gal terrarium when it gets finished as it will have plenty of room for growing and the lighting and humidity will be perffect for it in there till its bigger then i will move it outa there. Right now its at 75% humidity and temp is 78%. Sound ok to you all?? Also what do i do with the broken leaf, keep it in the pot pushed down in the potting mix or do something else with it?? I am sooooo amazed with this tiny fragil plant, and whomever said i would be hooked, well YOUR RIGHT!! LOL!!!
smile_m_32.gif
Tracey craves more baby Nep's..
smile_n_32.gif

Ok guys i still need to know what do i do with this broken leaf? It seems to be staying healthy being pushed down in the potting mix. Also the little pitcher that was turning brown is now completly brown, do i leave it on the leaf or do i cut it off now??
smile_l_32.gif

i leave mine on the leaves as they fall off by its self... hey does anyone know of a good store here in canada.. Ontario? cause i wana buy more CP's

As long as the leaf is green, you might as well keep it on. As for pitchers, I cut them off only after they've totally died (browned). Keeping them on after they've totally died is asking for trouble (especially if you are growing it in a terrarium), as fungus/mold love growing on dead matter in a humid, enclosed environment.

Congratulations, Tracey! As Capslock said, they can easily remain in shock for awhile. Stable conditions and adequate lighting & drainage will bring them around eventually. Like Capslock, I keep my Neps in hanging baskets, and water them once a day, allowing water to drain, normally into other CP pots. As Chloroplast says, green is good (how appropos for Chlorplast comment about green!)
smile_m_32.gif

smile.gif
Thanks everyone greatly apreciate the help. Im gona cut off the little all brown wilted picther, not the leaf its on since its green, but the leaf i was asking about was completly broken off away from the plant when i opened the package and took it out of the little bag it was wraped in. So i took that broken leaf off and stuck it in the potting mix/spag, its staying green even though its not attached to anything is this good?? Hopefully in a month or so it will be doing much better from its trip and getting cold.. It had a few hrs of natural sunlight today and is now back under the lights since it got dark. Other than the damaged pitchers and broken leaf its doing very well has perked up alot since yesterday.
smilie4.gif

Back