What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. truncata highland

Hey guys,

How can you tell the different from the lowland truncata? Please post your pic. if you have any.
thnx

Hiya,

I've got a pic of lowland truncata and several types of highland truncata on my website.

Obviously the first difference is that one is a lowland variant which likes it hot, and the other is a highland variant that likes warm days and cool nights.

On a morphological level, the lowland variant has green pitchers with either a reddy/brown or striped peristome, and the highland variant has numerous pitcher colours, from green, yellow, orange, purple, red and black. The highland variant can also have a more pronounced peristome. It is also claimed that the highland form is larger. In my experience, the highland form is a faster grower than the lowland form.

Hamish

true about the speed at which the highland grows at

Also, I've found the highland form appreciates ample room for its roots, whereas the lowland form can grow to maturity in a titchy container for years.

Cheers

I might also add the highland form is much more hirsute than the lowland form. Highland form having a short pelt of red bristly fur whereas the lowland form being rubbery in texture.

that too. a bit "hairy" on the new groth tip and underside of the leaves

It is also to be said that the highland verision grows bigger than the lowland varitey.

Back