What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PHOTOS of Nep. RAJAH & VILLOSA with SNOW!

Hello guys!
So,those were my ultrahighland nepenthes villosa and rajah today with the second day of snow....as you can see yourself in the background it was right snowing while I was taking the pics!
My rajah and villosa were out with a temperature of + 2 Celsius.
The Villosa is continuing to grow,even that with those last cold weeks has slow down.
The rajah is fine but it simply doesn't grow anymore,but as you can see...she is fine and is right developing pitchers in every leaf!
We had in Italy nearly 2 entire weeks of cloudy and foggy days ( cold also ) and villosa and rajah could not take advantage of the more warmer daylight hours to grow a little more ( because sun was not shining and so not warming the plants or the air).
But all is fine as you can see.
Anyway,I have given today the right present to my rajah for beeing so strong with all those weeks of cold weather : I put rajah in my terrarium and have taken some photos to check growing progresses in 1 week again.
I will inform you all,let me know what you think about it.
Ah..I forgot...of course Nepenthes villosa is continuing to sleep outside home!
Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY
villosa_snow.jpg

villosa_snow2.jpg

rajah_snow.jpg

You have quite the set of gonads there to test these guy's extremities! Woa, lucky man you are for not freezing them!

Can u give some complete growing conditions mr Aga? all year round? I would very much like to start with this species and of course I want them to survive.

Tyfone,
I warn you,those 2 neps are not a child play...those are reallly slow to grow...( figure out that sometimes I take pictures of them every week to find out some growing differences between day A and day B ).
I grow them from September 2005,so it is a little early to give you real true tips how to grow them.
The most difficult season will be in summer,because they are not used to have 35 celsius for long time!
I am growing nepenthes from a couple of years already but my growing skills will be strongly tested for those 2 plants!
I can tell you that Villosa is growing at altitude of more than 3100 meters ....so...take care!
Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

I know...and I figured that those to plants would do at least good here in Sweden.
I think I can have it outside from about march to october.
Ill put the in shade in summer. And Ill grow them in a small terraria on my balcony and in my windowsill in winter. (in a small terraria)
I can get them dairly cheap so I will try and go for it. Maybe not jump on villosa directly. Ill start with Rajah and maybe in 1-2 years Ill start with Villosa.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]OK,ok....then start with  ajah firist and then with villosa.
I don't think that IN SWEDEN there will be high temperatures PROBLEMS!  
So,leave it out to sun shine even in summer,don't worry.
Here in Milan ( Italy) it can be really hot!
Bye!
quoted from the topic windy!!

but temperatures here in sweden in summer can get really hot to.. like up to 38 sometimes 40 C in full sun (100 F - 104 F)
thats why I was thinking of rajah instead becuase its more heat tolarante...

Uh...something went wrong replying to a topic!
OK...speaking about villosa and Rajah...you should try in Sweden....
Summer can be hot there....but here in ITALY it is always hot,ehehe!
smile.gif

See yah!
More pics will follow soon!

Mr_Aga

hey that rajah you have mraga looks like when my lil' rajah got dehydrated or started to...

Looks like a bit of frost damage on your N. rajah.

One more thing Mr.Aga. Do you have your rajah and villosa in the windowsill now? jsut in the open? or do you have a terraria?

Tyfone,
I keep villosa and rajah out but near the wall.
So they don't catch wind or water or the extreme cold!
They are out but not as plants like sarracenia and dionea.
Here are some others photo for you!
Bye!
Fc3srx713b & NepenthesGracilis:
My rajah is not going to die,don't worry! Better : don't bring unluck! it was red coloured already with the first could nights!
Mr_Aga

AN UPDATE : I have also put rajah inside home and also 3 days after  my villosa : THE REASON? Sure...it was constantly snowing for more than 2 days and temperatures never went more than 4 celcius.
So..since I own only one villosa and not 10,I prefer not to risk "too much", even that I know that she can be able to support lower temperature.
Check the last days temperatures....
villosa_day.jpg

villosa_night.jpg

Mr_Aga

Ok..ladies and gentllemen!
After putting my rajah in my terrarium after only 72 hours it showed already the first signs of progress and growing and here is the evidence!
WHO WAS SAYING ME THAT is was going to die???
smile_m_32.gif

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY
rajah72hours.jpg

Not going to die, but you're definetly taking a helluva risk my friend.

dont be too happy about that basal... that could be sign of the main vine dying off... the leaves look "pruny" like, whys that?

Basals are extremely common in tissue cultured N. rajah, at least for a year or two after you get it. It is a species that has a long memory for a particular type of growth regulator commonly used in TC. However, they'll also produce basals in times of stress.

I agree with SydneyNeps, most immature plants of N.rajah from tissue cultured do produce small basals. I've seen this alot in cultivation. But i would'nt say the main vine is dying off due to the fact there's no vining even starting at this point. You're plant should be fine with a bit more careful care put into it.

drew mcclain

My Nepenthes rajah has some basal shoots too, there is the main plant of about 4 inches (10cm) in diameter, 5 basal shoots of about 2 inches (5 cm), and yesterday I found a new basal shoot of 1/2 inch (1,25cm).

Should I have to cut them?

Or it is ok for a Nepenthes rajah to live together with them?

Kind Regards

rajah

You don't need to cut basals off, my personal view is that they make little difference to the overall growth of the main vine. However, you can remove them and grow them as cuttings. It may be better to snap them off rather than cut them off, but again it probably doesn't make much difference. Simply pot them in an appropriate medium and they should grow.

Hamish

Hi to all!
Several weeks after posting those pics on this forum I wanted to inform to everyone that Nep. rajah and Nep. villosa are growing fine in my terrarium.They have not received any shock caused from the very cold weather.
All 2 plants are now growing. Rajah of course is growing faster than villosa.
Greetings,

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

TWO MONTH AFTER :
The Nepenthes rajah now is happy in the terrarium.
It is developing a lot of pitchers as you all can check.
PLEASE NOTE : the leaf that has developed outside has not anymore pitchered!
This is a clear sign that rajah was really to its limits when 1 month ago it was snowing outside.
Villosa instead also suffered less,pratically nothing!
It is growing faster and faster.
My growing conditions are :
15 hours of 120 neon ligh.
During daylight : 25 Celcius and 65% Humidity
During Night : 18 Celcius and 80% Humidity.
See yah!
Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY
rajah.jpg

villosa.jpg

Back