What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ampullaria  and Lowii hybrid

Hi all,i have 2 pics to show.The Lowii hybrid taken 14 months ago in Gunung Kinabalu Nat. park garden,grown in a pot. Please help to compare and id. Thank you

lowii.jpg

2nd pic, likely an ampullaria spoted red x ?. But couldn't quite confirm the other parentage.It was a rare find and the only i came across.

neps1.jpg

Thanks for the help in advance...Robert
smile_m_32.gif

N. lowii x stenophylla
N. ampullaria x gracilis or N. ampullaria x mirabilis

Those are the undisputable parentages
smile.gif

Robert,

I'd put money on the first plant being lowii x stenophylla, it is a not uncommon hybrid.

The second looks like a complex hybird, as it has ampullaria and rafflesiana traits, but is has a gracilis look to the pitcher shape (as in gracilis x Hookeriana). Where was it found? It might also be a hybrid of ampullaria and rafflesiana elongata, which would explain the pitcher shape.

Hamish

And Robert I have to say - keep the photos coming - you are a very talented photographer, and your access to material is enviable!

Thanks Loke and Hamish,it really helps.

The N.ampullaria cross was found in penrissen,adjacent to the Semengoh orang utan wildlife and rehabilitation centre, kuching. Noticeable, and i counted, were 8 tall mature plants all having same colouration and shapes. on the forest floor are young plant with foliages without pitchers. amp green form were found in abundance. Mirabilis and gracilis were scattered all over but not in abundance. Didn't notice N.rafflesiana nearby ,perhaps there are, but i didn't proceed further to investigate due to the dense undergroeth
smile.gif

..Robert

Robert, it definitely has raff in it. Just looking at the pitcher markings, and particularly the splotches on the wings are typical raff traits. And the peristome has amp in it. It doesn't look like classic Hookeriana, which makes me think there's gracilis in it. But what parents in what combinations it's too hard to say. If memory serves me correctly, Greg Bourke took pictures of a similar hybrid in Borneo a couple of months ago, I'll ask him to have a look at this thread and give his view.

Hamish

Come to think of it, Lowii x Ampularia would be nice!
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The Lowii hybrid taken 14 months ago in Gunung Kinabalu Nat. park garden,grown in a pot.

That is a wild plant grown in the wild in a pot?
confused.gif
?

yeah Dustin grown in a pot, within the park's garden enclosure,for visitors to see.There are many others found in kinabalu mt. grown in pots as well, but plants are young with no pitchers
smile.gif

...Robert

Oh alright, thanks for clarifying that Rob!
smile.gif

most welcome Dustin,cheers...Rob:D

Back