What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. rigidifolia

6 foot tall, and still no flowers??? Do they start to vine? A couple of mine are starting to get quite large, a bit aggressively so, I was hoping they'd start to vine and get out of the way rather than overshadow everything in a 3 foot radius...

6' easy. I can take some photos next time I'm up there around end March. Lots of plants are like that for us, we just don't get enough light for many months of the year becasue of wet season and it's hard to stimulate flowers on some species unless we take the plant outdoors. I've got over 70 N. amp reds that are in a nursery which are betwen 12' and 18' tall (no kidding). Not a single flower. We planted a few of them outdoors a year ago and 80% of those have now flowered - including the Williams
smile.gif

So what gender is the Williams' Red??

Sorry, I'm a bit hard of hearing... What was that?
smile_m_32.gif

Is the reason for your flowering success outside of the greenhouses with the N. ampullaria cv. Williams Red due to the fact they are exposed to more natural conditions. Or do you baby them outside as well?

More natural conditions I think.

N. ampullaria in habitat grows mostly in dense peat swamp forest and seems programmed to flower when there is a sudden increase in light level coupled with a time of year (about January in my experience). Increase of light is usually either by vining to the canopy or by an event like a fallen tree allowing direct sunlight to reach the plant. By putting them outside they go from 80% shade in the nursery to 0% outside for 6 hours of the day.  This causes ugly leaf burns but also flowering.  One plant had 6 spikes.

The ones outside don't get babied at all but they do get a lot of natural prey.

Here are some photos:

N. ampullaria growing in nursery. Nursery roof is 18' high. No flowers!

amps_in_nursery.jpg

N. ampullaria growing outdoors - many flowers.

amps_outdoors.jpg

N. ampullaria 'Williams red' pollinated with N. ampullaria 'Harlequin'.

Williams_inflorescence.jpg

Happy now Hamish!  
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Borneo @ Mar. 07 2006,6:55)]More natural conditions I think.

N. ampullaria in habitat grows mostly in dense peat swamp forest and seems programmed to flower when there is a sudden increase in light level coupled with a time of year (about January in my experience). Increase of light is usually either by vining to the canopy or by an event like a fallen tree allowing direct sunlight to reach the plant. By putting them outside they go from 80% shade in the nursery to 0% outside for 6 hours of the day.  This causes ugly leaf burns but also flowering.  One plant had 6 spikes.

The ones outside don't get babied at all but they do get a lot of natural prey.

Here are some photos:

N. ampullaria growing in nursery. Nursery roof is 18' high. No flowers!

amps_in_nursery.jpg

N. ampullaria growing outdoors - many flowers.

amps_outdoors.jpg

N. ampullaria 'Williams red' pollinated with N. ampullaria 'Harlequin'.

Williams_inflorescence.jpg

Happy now Hamish!  
smile.gif
Hi,
so happy to see pics of the greenhouse! very nice and neat (despite the vines)!
And wow! William is a female !
smile_n_32.gif

just wanted to find out, do the younger plants have extra netting? or all sit under 80% cloht? And the pots seem very small for vining amp! its filled with nothing but cocohuskchips?
thanks

Rob, you always make me happy
smile.gif
And glad the Williams Red is a female, it's a change for once to have a single clone that is female. I have so many male Neps in flower at the moment, and a solitary female...

Egads! It's really 'Wilhelmina's Red'
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Thanks for sharing, Rob. Fascinating pics as always.:)

Well, given that the 'Williams' after whom it was named was a lady, it's entirely appropriate.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well, given that the 'Williams' after whom it was named was a lady, it's entirely appropriate

"Was"? Is there something I should know about?
smile_m_32.gif

Lam_wn, all the plants in our lowland nurseries are under 80% shaecloth and sometimes additional 50% shadecloth over tender plants in the dry season, so that would be 90% at times. There are some surrounding trees that cast shade at certain times of the day, so we place plants accordingly since species prefer a lot more light than others.

The pots for stock plants are 30cm (12") in dia.  Since N. ampullaria like to send out lateral runners (is "runners" the right word?) then it's not ideal and the entire surface of the media in the pots becomes covered in a carpet of pitchers and the whole pot one mass of roots.

The plants outdoors are in the ground.  We've never dug one up to see how the roots have gone. I wonder if that may have a bearing on the flowering situation.  We'll be moving the nursery later this year so guess we will find out then.

I love you Rob! ;)
When I will meet you again for the third time in EEE Bonn 2006 I will give you a kiss! ;)
Bye!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Uh! Oh!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

So you don't recognise me I shall come like this:
blues.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Borneo @ Mar. 09 2006,7:59)]Uh! Oh!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

So you don't recognise me I shall come like this:
blues.gif
LMAO,
hey you may be offending him, it may be a culture thing where it must happen or you may offend that person so pucker up!  
smile_r_32.gif
  tounge or no tounge
smile_n_32.gif
LMAO!!!!!

Rob,
I probably won't, but are you coming to Maryland for the ICPS Conference?

Chhers,

Joe

To be serious...
I personally will not be present at ICPS of Maryland : first because of costs and second because it would be not easy to bring many plants back to Europe.
But one day I will also partecipate outside Europe.
For the moment I will partecipate to the EEE of Bonn in Germany the 23 and 24 September 2006.
Bye!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Back