What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

male campanulata, and aristo flowering.

Hey guys,
just wanted to let everyone know I have a male campanulata, and male aristo flowering. I'm hoping some body out there has a female campanulata, aristo, or hamata in bloom. Let me know, and I'll send out some pollen so we can make little guys!
Thanks!
robin  
smile.gif

A campanulata x hamata would be cool :p
A aristo x hamata would be cool to ;)

Not so sure about campanulata x hamata, a species with virtually no peristome crossed with one with an extreme one will produce something much less interesting than truncata x hamata. As for aristo x hamata, that one has been done here in Australia but the seedlings are still tiny, so no characteristics will be seen for years.

Well, we are hoping for something like this..
smile_m_32.gif

camhamforsaleworkingcopy6x.jpg

You might be able to do it after numerous crosses and backcrosses. At the moment, Neps have been bred mostly by chance than by design due to the difficulty in getting the desired species of the right sexes flower at the same time. But I can see Neps becoming like roses and being bred for specific traits.

It seems that N. hamata passes on the coloration of the lower pitchers to it's hybrids, and not so much the toothed peristome. With N. campanulata x hamata, it seems that the unique shape and color of campanulata's pitcher would be lost, and the toothed peristome of hamata would also be lost.

Brian

actually Brian, i am interested to see what some of the newer hamata crosses will do. if yah look at the Preditor hybrid i am quite surprised with how much the teeth tried to come through given how dominant truncatas peristrome is in other hybrids. i think hamatas peristrome is much more dominant than we are giving it credit for. but the truncata cross wasnt ideal to try and get it to show its stuff. i agree that most any cross we come up with isnt going to improve on hamatas teeth unless we get to cross it with other toothy species but who reall knows what some of these crosses will actually come up with

I'm always interested in seeing different hybrids too.  It seems to me that the peristome on the N. x predator is distinct simply because truncata passes on it's flared peristome.  If the peristome wasn't flared, I don't think the teeth would be as distinct.  I haven't seen too many hamata hybrids so I'm basing it on N. x predator.

Check out the updated homepage of exotica plants:  update There is a great shot of a large N. x predator.  The peristome is great.  Now imagine a hybrid between artiso and hamata.  Would the peristome be as dramatic? Does artisto have enough peristome to bring out the hamata teeth?

Brian

Hi all:

The best way to preserve the teeth of hamata is crossing it with its hairy counterpart, i guess: who knows, we may get spotted hamatas with lots of hair on their pitchers.

Gus

I have 2 campanulata but it is really early untill they will decide to flower!
Could you tell me in which conditions you are cultivating them? In terrarium?
Thanks

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Could you tell me in which conditions you are cultivating them? In terrarium?
Thanks
yep,
temps 55-85 in a terrarium, planted in chopped cocoanut husks/charcoal/sphagnum mix. not a difficult plant.
smile.gif

campanmale.jpg

Hey Robin,
I haven't heard back from Jeremiah - would you still like to to the pollen thing with my female camp?

-Dave

Robin- I have a really nice female spectabilis getting ready to bloom if you want to cross it with your aristo.

Phil

Hello Rlhirst,
post some pictures more from your campanulata.
Tell me something about its size...it seems really big from this photo.
From the temperatures you wrote it seems that campanulata enjoys highland conditions,isn't true?
Bye

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hey Robin,
I haven't heard back from Jeremiah - would you still like to to the pollen thing with my female camp?

Hey Dave,
Sounds good to me! pm me your address. The pollen should be ready in about a week or so.  I'll ship it out to ya then. Cool!
Thanks!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Robin- I have a really nice female spectabilis getting ready to bloom if you want to cross it with your aristo.

Phil,
that sounds good man! pm me your address. It's gonna be...oh.. maybe a month till its ready. maybe a little sooner. I'll ship it out as soon as it's ready.
Thanks

Thank you both for the offer!
smile.gif

robin
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hello Rlhirst,
post some pictures more from your campanulata.
Tell me something about its size...it seems really big from this photo.
From the temperatures you wrote it seems that campanulata enjoys highland conditions,isn't true?
Bye
Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Hey Mr_Aga, here you go. Looks to be over 10 inches tall. I would say yeah more or less it will survive in highland temps, but it grows alot faster when it gets warmer at night during the summer. I got this guy from cp jungle.
I'm not sure how much bigger they become, but I think it's about as big as it's gonna get.

campan.jpg

campanulataaa.jpg

robin
smile.gif

Robin,

Interesting....Yours is slightly different from mine - mine has a red flush to the pitchers...And, if the picture is a good judge, your leaves are a little lighter green, while mine are little sturdier (thicker). I don't have mine staked up, so I don't know how tall it is, but I think the diamter is roughly the same as yours, if not a hair smaller.

These should make two good parents!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (schloaty @ Dec. 13 2005,6:17)]Robin,

Interesting....Yours is slightly different from mine - mine has a red flush to the pitchers...
smile_l_32.gif
yeah i saw it too
smile_o_32.gif

Schloaty,
I think that I have also the same clone as yours.
My campanulata as I bought it, it had also a red border.
I have 2 campanulatas.Maybe one is with red border and the other not.let's see in the future. Mine is from Christian Klein.
Could you post photos of your clone please?
Rlhirst,
your pictures are amazing..I though campanulata was more littler...it depends probably of the clone.
I post you one of my humile campanulata.consider that she is fresh from arrive.
I will keep you informed in the near future.
I grow it in a terrarium with 15 hour/day neon light.
Bye!
Mr_Aga

campanulata.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Interesting....Yours is slightly different from mine - mine has a red flush to the pitchers...And, if the picture is a good judge, your leaves are a little lighter green, while mine are little sturdier (thicker).  I don't have mine staked up, so I don't know how tall it is, but I think the diamter is roughly the same as yours, if not a hair smaller.

These should make two good parents!

I agree! good parents, and good seedlings. I like the leaves on your plant better, and the red color is cool too.
smile.gif

Mr_Aga
You won't have to wait long, they grow pretty quick. Very nice soil mix you have there. That will work very good.
Thanks,
robin
smile.gif

Back