What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Suggestions?

glider14

Always a newbie
Hello everyone!
Ok I am pretty sure i am getting a LARGE terrarium. Does anyone have suggestions for terarrium neps that are lowlanders? Right now i have a ventrata and I am getting an ampullaria soon. Thanks for your help.

Hmm sounds good. Do you know the average price and if they remain small the whole time?

How big is large? For terraria, I'd recommend, gracilis, bellii, campanulata, eustachya, adnata, distillatoria, vieillardii to name the most compact or easy to manage species. Stay away from large species like bicalcarata, northiana, rafflesiana and ampullaria. Whilst it is compact as a rosette, ampullaria's climbing stem is many metres tall. You can keep it trimmed back, but it doesn't do it justice.

I've got a rafflesiana in mine. As long as it gets enough light it wont vine and stays really short, but it will get a little wide as new leaves always seem to be bigger than the one before.

-Rail

Rafflesiana will vine when it has reached vining stage. Getting enough light is exactly what it needs, it will not reduce its inclination to vine. You can't stop plants from doing what they do naturally, not without drastic measures anyway.

Back