What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Est

War. War never changes.
Staff member
Ok, so here are some of my Nepenthes.  I like to think of it as a nice start!
smile.gif

First up:  Two basals from my N. sibuyanensis
Resized_Dsc00468.jpg

And now a few months later!
Resized_Dsc00584.jpg

A basal from a multi-identified Nep.

Resized_Dsc00587.jpg

Not a basal (well, not connected to parent any more...) but a little Nep, anyway!  If you look between some of the leaves you can see some of the dead material: I'm pretty proud of this one, it's grown considerably since I got it in the auction.  Look familiar, Capslock?  I'll give you a hint: not the hamata.

Resized_Dsc00589.jpg

Same plant, showing the latest pitcher.
Resized_Dsc00590.jpg

A basal starting to form on my N. spectabilis X veitchii??  I know it's a little hard to tell who is who, but I'm talking about the white protrusion from the stem near the bottom right of each picture.  This is with a bit of substrate removed, so it's technically still below the surface.  Sure hope it's a basal, I love this plant!
Resized_Dsc00598.jpg

Resized_Dsc00599.jpg

And now for the little hamta that could.  Um, well, I'm still hoping it can.  It's growth has been spotty for me since I got it (I made a stupid mistake that cost me a good few months of grow time.)  I'm worried about it, it seems like it's loosing green faster than it's making it...  
confused.gif
 It's hard to see, but the newest leaf is actually starting to pop up.

N.hamata_basal01.jpg.jpg

And to keep with the "potential" as opposed to "what I've got" idea of this topic: The latest forming pitcher on my previously mentioned N. spectabilis X veitchii.  Not as big as some of the others, but this one is really intriguing me.

Resized_Dsc00595.jpg

Resized_Dsc00600.jpg

Well, there's my Nep potential!  I may add a few more pics if I get a chace.  Thanks for viewing!
smile.gif
Code:

Very cool Neps Est! I've only had one Nep ever form a basal for me, but it died
smile_h_32.gif

Very nice.
I guess all that crazy talking to your plants works!
smile_n_32.gif

Yeah, the last two are the same pitcher (note the shard of charcoal underneath), N. spatulata x veitchii.

Capslock

Sorry for the confusions, guys!  I edited it for clarity.  The last pitcher is N. spectabilis X veitchii.  Sorry for being unclear.
smile_m_32.gif
 (back to class, now before I get yelled at!)

Oh, and nice little ventricosa! It's a lot bigger than mine is. Oh, and the two leaves of the N. hamata look pretty good. It's a tough plant, so it should hang in there.

Capslock
smile.gif

Thanks everyone! I really need to take some pictures when it isn't dark out, that way I can get some shots of the few that are outside, too!
Yeah, Caps, the ventrricosa is plugging along quite nicely! As for the hamata... Well.. It had 3 leaves, it just recently lost another... I reeeally hope it picks up the pace, I'm doing all I can for it.
confused.gif
I think that it might just be loosing steam... If anyone has any miraculous suggestions, I'd love to hear 'em!
biggrin.gif

I have two questions. I always thought the "vine" that unfolds leaves was a basal shoot, what is its real name? And how easy it it to get a basal shoot? Any special requierments? This is for a ventrata...
glider

As you can see from my post...I am a newbie which does have its ups and downs.
smile.gif

If you are talking about the vine that unfolds leaves, I think you are talking about the newest leaf on a Nepenthes that's rolled up? I don't know how basal shoots form, but I have one on my N. x edinensis and I think it formed because there was a small cut on the vine, probably from a mouse or something, but the cut is horizontally, so I don't know how it got there.

EST, What conditions do you keep your hamata in? The shoot I got from Max is a champ.. its pitchered on every single leaf its grown since the day I got it.

The unidentified one I will take a stab at: N. ventricosa red x green?

Steve

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]EST, What conditions do you keep your hamata in? The shoot I got from Max is a champ.

Your regular highland conditions. It's in one of those flimsy containers with pure sphagnum moss. It get's direct sunlight for most parts of the day (though it's inside so it doesn't get too hot or anything.) I mist it several times a day, and there's a plastic cup over the container to help keep the humidity up (though there's still plenty of airflow.) At night, since we've get short days right now, I put it under a grow light for a couple extra hours. Oh, and the typical cool-down at night.

Should I take off the cup, maybe? Is more light more important than slightly higher humidity?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'd hate to loose this guy!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The unidentified one I will take a stab at: N. ventricosa red x green?

I'll have to take a picture or two of the actual pitchers, as I'm sure that'd make it easier. I got it labeled as N. tobaica, though (the one with the capensis in the pot). Oooh, unless you're talking about the other one, the one where I told Caps to guess, yes, then your guess'd be spot on (if I'm not mistaken.)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have two questions. I always thought the "vine" that unfolds leaves was a basal shoot, what is its real name? And how easy it it to get a basal shoot? Any special requierments? This is for a ventrata...

I think Piranha answered this; I think what you're talking about it just the stem of the plant. The unfolding leaf is just the leaf from the next node on the stem. Take a look at the 6th and 7th pictures, they show how basal shoot starts, it's a little hard to see, but it's coming out of the stem (and is actually below the media.) To get things to pitcher, people will often have their plants leaning (not supported.) Hope that helps.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Est @ Dec. 07 2005,6:01)]Oooh, unless you're talking about the other one, the one where I told Caps to guess, yes, then your guess'd be spot on (if I'm not mistaken.)
Well....  in all fairness, I cheated..  I have the same plant from the same source..  and if Im not mistaken, these are seedlings, not basal shoots.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well.... in all fairness, I cheated.. I have the same plant from the same source.. and if Im not mistaken, these are seedlings, not basal shoots.

I thought that might be the case, and you said that you got a hamata from Capslock as well. I assumed that you got them together, like me. So, any deviation in the way I'm growing (or attempting to grow) my hamata from what you're doing?

Oh, and thanks for the correction.

Well I grow mine in a small fish tank, mainly to keep the cat from making a meal of it. It sits in a west facing window and thats the only light it gets. Typical indoor temps. Nothing special at all really.

I think the problem is that I lost quite a while of grow time when the media I was using turned sour. I think that if it can make it over the hump, that it'll be great... But can I make it over the hump... hm. Thanks for the reply.
smile.gif

BTW, it'll still be a while until I separate the N. sibuyanensis basals, but just theoretically, is there anyone interested in one for trade?

Back