What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

reinwartiana x gracilis

well,here is another reinwardtiana that has a cross with either gracilis or mirabilis.The 2 white "eyes" are prominent,has winged ribs that represent either gracilis or mirabilis.what is the exact cross? This plant was found on 1,200ft elevation mountain logging track,the stem was crushed ,still fresh,i took a photo then cut off the destroyed upper stem,took it home.look very bad but i see the remaining leaves are regaining the supple since 2 weeks ago.Lots of brownish/red rust spot,yellowish and very unhealthy when first found.

reind1alt.jpg
.Robert

Robert,

I'm not so sure that it is a hybrid. Do you have a closer picture of one of the pitchers?

Hamish

It was a quick and only 2 shots, with timber truck passing by and dangerous.I can only crop from the same photo.:(

reindalt2.jpg

..Robert

Interesting. I still don't think it's a hybrid trait, as both graclis and mirabilis have no ala on their upper pitchers. I'm incliined to think this is some variant, either locational or a sport.

probably,but still doubtful.Only the winged and colors that differentiate from the usual green forms.Posting the green form for comparison. Taken in the same locality.:D

reindalt34jpgalt.jpg

.Robert

Robert,
I agree with Hamish. not so sure it's a hybrid. If it is a hybrid, I would go with gracilis, perhaps as a grandparent.
It is a very elegant pitcher. I hope the cutting strikes for you.

On the second pic I don't see any eyespots jsut red flecking so I dont think its a reinwardita anything.

The eyes are visible, they're faint yellow spots just below the peristome rim. And you do occasionally get reinwardtiana pitchers without the eye spots, or with just one eye spot. And you also get other species with those eye spots from time to time. So it's not ultimately a defining characteristic, but just highly probative. The shape of the pitcher is probably the most obvious characteristic, as it has a very square shape.

And I agree with Trent wholeheartedly, I hope the cutting strikes as it is a beautiful variant.

Back