What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So its pretty much a difficult plant because its very finicky.

Well, it's not really surprising for 2 reasons. Firstly, it is a very gracile plant, with very thing stems and leaves, so it will feel the effects of heat and low humidity more than robust species such as macrophylla, lowii and rajah. Secondly, it comes from higher altitudes than those species, so is more of a 'true' highlander, only species like villosa, murudensis and lamii are found at higher altitudes.

Previosuly talangensis was mentioned as a possibly more temperamental plant - however in my case things seem to be the opposite as my two talangensis are growing in all madness while my formerly dwindling aristolochioides has finally sped up after repotting into very loose LFS (I chucked out about 2/3 of the original LFS - way too crammed!). My guess is that this species in particular may need ample oxygen around its roots, and I'd be more inclined to believe so if growth returns to normal as a result of repotting.

Cheers
Amori

Well I'll give it a repot with pure live sphagnum....I've go so much of it anyways.

FWIW, I've got about 30 TC aristolochioides (3 or 4 clones) and they grow like gangbusters, alongside talangensis and others from similar altitudes. They probably are not dipping below 50 at night. My villosa are in the same chamber, too, and they are doing fine so far, but I know I need to get them into colder temps before too much long longer.

Whats your soil composition Walter? Also, light and humidity?

They are in a mix of NZ sphagnum, coarse perlite, coconut husk chips, and tree fern. The room has one HPS and one MH bulb, 400 watts each, with a few mixed fluorescents over to one side, with the plants distributed throughout the room at various distances away from the lights. The humidity is a bit on the low side for Nepenthes. Fixing that is on my to-do list.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]FWIW, I've got about 30 TC aristolochioides (3 or 4 clones) and they grow like gangbusters, alongside talangensis and others from similar altitudes.

wow! do you have any pictures you care to share?
Thanks,
robin

Sounds like you are constructing a terrific "grow room".  Thanks for sharing the information.
smile.gif
  KPG

[b said:
Quote[/b] (WalterG @ Dec. 13 2005,6:10)]FWIW, I've got about 30 TC aristolochioides (3 or 4 clones) and they grow like gangbusters, alongside talangensis and others from similar altitudes.  They probably are not dipping below 50 at night.  My villosa are in the same chamber, too, and they are doing fine so far, but I know I need to get them into colder temps before too much long longer.
are you that person that sold thoes one ebay?

I have a drinks fridge which works wonders for my villosa seedlings at night. I've had my eye on the wine fridge for the day time, but my life isn't worth the attempt to appropriate that. Plus I like wine too much LOL.

Just making about 60 liters of hard cider, my friend and I might need a wine cooler! LOL Time to bottle soon!
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ Dec. 14 2005,4:39)]Just making about 60 liters of hard cider, my friend and I might need a wine cooler! LOL Time to bottle soon!
smile.gif
how old are you?

Hey all,
My aristo grew great with temps never going below around 55 degrees for over a year.

Finally kicked the bucket, though, when we had a month long heat wave this summer, and temps never dipped below 70. That was murder on several of my highlanders.

Hehe my villosa is usally spending alot of time in the wine cooler
smile_n_32.gif
but now it's out in the cold on my porch.

I've had this aristolochioides for about 2 years and it's not getting any bigger than 10cm across whereas my talangensis has doubled in size year after year. The plants are acually next to each other and in the same compost, getting the same amounts of water/fertilizer/light etc..

I suspect that I might have one of those weak clones huh?

I think in order to analyse what TC does to seedlings, we must understand what exactly growing plants in TC entails:
the seedling is getting all the nutrients from the TC flask, so plants that can get more effectively the nutrients from its pitchers don't have a selective advantage. So in general, the person doing TC is selecting at least two types of plants: those that can mostly get nutrients from the stem and those that can get nutrients mostly from the stem and pitchers. Those plants which only get nutrients from the pitchers are selected out.

As far as I know, all pitcher plants get nutrients from the pitchers and very little or none from the stem. But growing plants in TC promotes the selection of (MUTANTS). In other words, those plants which can thrive in those artificial conditions, thus the selection of mutants is enhanced
confused.gif

GUS (Just another crazy but plausible hypothesis)

Back