What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. sp. Viking uppers

Hi,
Looks like the link to the URL doesn't access the photo unless you register. Oh well. I put on some pics of the N. sp "Viking" upper red trap off a female plant with seed and some of a plant from Loei, Thailand low altitude. Looks like the N. anamensis from higher altitude. Should be good to test if they are the same.
Truly,
Tom

You know, posting pics is really easy once you sign up with photobucket.
www.photobucket.com
You can create an account in just minutes, and I think you get unlimited space
biggrin.gif
! For some reason I can never find the pics people post on that darn yahoo group..

Try it again. When you get ur pics into photobucket you copy and paste the third line of address under each picture, labeled "img".

we want to see your pics ;)
as lol said just copy the third column down under your picture in photobucket.
Then paste it into your message here.
Hope that helps,
robin
smile.gif

Have no idea what copy and paste is. I don't own a computer and never will. But I will show the photos for free.
Truly,
Tom

Hi Tom, how are you?. Just press the button that says image and you'll get a window opening, then put your website's address in that window and press O.K

Hopefully it'll work this time around

Gus

I was told I was not allowed to use that image extension on this board. Oh well. If you want to see the pics register and see them at www.groups.yahoo.com/group/nepenthesclub. I'll take some more pics in a couple of hours and load them up later.
Truly,
Tom

Well...

Hi,
Back in the US. I've found a computer that should load up the pics here at the library. I'll work on it before this weekend.
Alot of different variations. Many in flower. The N. thorelii that I found in Trat, Thailand had a very thick root system. Many of the chunks of roots began to sprout before I left.
I potted them up there to see how long it takes to grow on.
These roots and plants were in clear plastic bags hanging up in the tree for a month and they still sprouted. Talking with the guys there in Bangkok they regularly chop up the roots like taking a rhizome division and it sprouts. I have one example of this that I brought back. The thick root was about 2" long with leafed out offshoots growing out at one end and roots on the other.
Watch for it at www.groups.yahoo.com/group/nepenthesclub
Truly,
Tom

Hi Tom,
What media are the Thai growers using to root the rhizome (root)pieces? Do they punch holes in the hanging bags to prevent any rot problems?

Hi,
I was sucessful in loading up some pics from what I previously mentioned at the group/nepenthesclub site.
As far as rooting media, one place used cocoanut sawdust and the other used peat. Both had excellent root systems. As far as venting the bags I kept them tied shut until signs of roots appeared. As you can see in the pic "bags in the tree"
these were mostly shaded but I think if I did it long term I would add more light and gradually give it more until established. Many of the N. sp "Vikings" that were growing in cultivation were in full sun.
I know the N. thorelii in Trat was. Boy was it hot with the silica sand reflecting the sunlight. I'll try and find some here.
They sell silica sand as a sandblasters product here but this stuff in Trat was finer like greensand used in foundry casting but made of silica.
Truly,
Tom

Hi,
I put some more pics on the yahoo site group/nepenthesclub.
N. thorelii male in bloom at Trat. The spike is alot longer than the N. smilesii and N. anamensis I found on Phu Kadung some years back.
A pic with N. thorelii root divisions sprouting up in a ziplock bag. This root trait should prove valuable in hybridizing for drought tolerance. The other pic is a sample of a root cutting technique. The tip towards the leaf sprouts was cut at an angle and roots formed at the base.
It takes me the full half hour of computer time per day to load up around five pics so be patient. More to follow.
Truly,
Tom

funny that no pics were ever posted about the topic...
smile_h_32.gif

Hi,
More pics at group/nepenthesclub. I dug down a plant that I have had for years from Phu Kadung to expose the root. These types of plants like the ones in Thailand from Loei have the more single carrot like taproot that is difficult to propagate from. Compared to the roots of N. thorelii that were very woody, dark and divided fairly easily. These N. thorelii roots struck easily.
The two other pics are of the seedings from Phu Kadung. N. anamensis and N. smilesii. One producing a smaller plant with red traps and the later larger traps. Both having hairy leaves like the Thai plants from Loei. Compared to N. thorelii having smooth leaves.
Three other pics are of some of the wing variations of these Thai plants.
Truly,
Tom

Back