What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

largest Nep pitcher.?

i was wondering what nep grows the largest pitcher. i thought N. raja,, or N. rafflesiana was a big sized pitcher plant, but i looked at some pics and it was tiny.
does anyone have a pic of the biggest pitcher you have ever seen?

rajah i think hold the largest volume of water...

There are quite a few species that produce very large pitchers, and individuals that produce monster ones. For example, rafflesiana is not often credited for being a species that produces the largest pitchers, and most are fairly average. But the largest pitcher I've have ever seen was a raff. Rajah, merrilliana, sibuyanensis, sumatrana, truncata, even macrophylla and burbidgeae can produce very large pitchers.

In short, I doubt you could say that any one species produces the largest pitchers. There are many, and you can never discount a species which normally doesn't produce large pitchers producing an enormous one.

By volume it's probably N.rajah or N. merrilliana.

574d4931.jpg

To give an idea of the size and proportions, this N. rajah pitcher was about as big as they come.

There's a picture floating round of Chi'en Lee holding a rafflesiana pitcher that is even bigger.

charles N.rajah is the King of all,it's the largest recorded that easily hold up 3 litres of water.The back cover of "Pitchers plant of Borneo" by anthea phillips and anthony Lamd where a boy holding an N. rajah,if you have the book.

Robert

Wow that Rajah is a Monster
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Bye for now julian

Every now and then, a single plant will produce a huge pitcher, like NepGrowers picture. Not every pitcher on that plant was that size It will vary. There is a handful of species that consistently produce large pitchers, and every now and then a monster sized pitcher. Hamish listed the species capable of the "monster" pitcher in the above post.

Hey Nep Grower,

Do you have a similar picture with something beside the piture that could give us a better size comparison?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chesara @ Dec. 15 2005,5:06)]Wow that Rajah is a Monster
smile_k_ani_32.gif
you know, i was looking at that monster rajah and look at the lid, i wonderd to myself, is this bigger than ephippiata's lid in ratio?

I think its a close tie between N. merilliana and N. rajah, the forever rivaling titans of nepenthes...hahah

Back