What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 years in the life of a Nepenthes rajah

Jeremiah, just thought I'd add my congratulations too.
Very impressive. I'm inspired to go into town today and buy a much bigger pot for my baby.....

Nrajah.jpg

Cheers,
Tony.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (agustinfranco @ Dec. 17 2005,4:19)]This is a big problem when discussing growing conditions for cp's. In most cases, Most people want optimal growth, but many growers confuse tolerating growth conditions with flourishing in optimal conditions. As long as the plant remains alive, that's what matters!: Does it really matter or we want more from our plants!

Gus
I'm finding that out this year. So far, this year, in all has been the worst year ever for my Nepenthes...I think its because I need to repot them, the mix in most is around 4-5 years old.

tonyc,
nice rajah, but does anyone think he should repot it since rajahs tend to have large root systems? just wondering for mine also...

Dustin,

Interesting comment about mix age and breaking down. I've noticed a couple of things. Firstly, some species don't like old mix, and others couldn't give a proverbial. Secondly, species with big root systems cope with old media better than those with puny root systems, my theory being along the lines of why orchids do better in smaller pots: if they have a large root system, all available moisture is evenly and regularly absorbed, and the medium stays fresher for longer. Small root systems will leave too much excess moisture in the medium, and it will break down more quickly.

Just some passive subjective empirical thoughts...

Hey Hamish, well I was always the pot and don't touch until you absoulutly must touch impression. But I just think many would benefit from a repot, especially hamata, aristolochioides and some of the lowlanders. I just think 4-5 year old compost is just too old and needs to be refreshed with the micronurtrients and fresh material. Thats why I am soaking about 4 liters of coconut chips and just picked up 25 liters of sphagnum for my winter repotting project!
smile.gif

On a side note, because most of my plants are fairly old should I do any root trimming?

I thought it meant death to touch roots of a Nepenthes. I treat the repotting like a holy ritual, carefully and ever...so...slowly.....
smile_n_32.gif

It just depends on the species. Ramispina for example has a puny root system, and seems more tolerant of mix than other species. I'd be happy to leave it in the same pot for years without fussing. But a species like maxima has roots that will fill a large pot in a season without trying, and I repot mine fairly regularly.

The other thing to take into account is root sensitivity. Species like bellii, bicalcarata, rajah and a few others can react extremely negatively to having their roots disturbed even mildly. I know of several large bical and rajah that have been killed by repotting. It can be done, it just requires lots of time, patience and common sense.

It is amazing at times what some species will take. I've repotted alata and ventricosa by tipping them out of their pots, hacking most of the roots off and putting into the same size pot, and they've done just fine.

With species that I know will require a lot of root space over a fairly short period, I will overpot significantly. But I'll happily put a medium sized ramispina or lowii (which also seems to have a very small root system) in a small pot as I know the chance of it getting root bound in a hurry is small.

Here is a photo I just took now that it is fully open.

It is setting on a 7 1/2" pot for size reference
2005-12-18_N_rajah_016.jpg

In its new 24" pot.
2005-12-18_N_rajah_034.jpg

thanks
-Jeremiah-

Think I'll be repotting my N. aristolochioides tonite. Have fresh moss and fresh cocnut chips, sounds like a nice airy, open mix that a highlander would appreciate, give it a drink of some SuperThrive and I think it will be quite happy.

PS- wonderful Jeremiah. Did you repot into pure loosely packed sphagnum?

Dustin,

As a risk management tool, I always make sure I take cutting of any valuable plants I intend to repot, so if it dies as a result, I still have the cuttings as back up.

Hehe! That raja is rediculous!
very nice Jeremiah!

Thanks guys.

"Did you repot into pure loosely packed sphagnum?"
I added maybe 2 cups of perlite but other then that it is all LFS. I got my brother to help me because without two sets of hands it would have been almost impossible to repot with out damaging the roots or pitcher.

-Jeremiah-

Did the roots go all the way to the insides of the pot??

The roots went all the way around the pot but they did not quite go to the all the way to the bottom. I fill the bottom with rock and coconut husk (to help drainage) and they did not seem to like to grow through it.

Thanks
-Jeremiah-

Your N. rajah is very beautiful and looks great in its new pot.  When I saw the last photo, it reminded me of a wild N. rajah:  Wild N. rajah

Brian

Wow Jeremiah...that's an amazing plant you have there. Congratulations!
smile.gif
You definitely have a huge green thumb. How in the world do you tie your shoes??
smile_m_32.gif

I would love to have an N. rajah someday but must figure out how to provide the right conditions.

Beautiful plant and photos. Thanks!

WOW. Nice plant Jeremiah. I like the deep green leaves N. Rajah produces. Maybe I'll get one. If I can't get it to pictcher, at least the leaves will look nice.

Dang Capslock! Your N. Rajah is out year round in San Fran?!?! It looks tough and it still pitchers nice(heck and its winter too). Do you grow any plants indoors without humidifiers? I live in inland Southern California, but do you think I could grow Neps indoors during the summer? I mean I think humidity won't matter much weather I'm indoors along the coast or indoors inland. I mean whether if it's along the coast or inland, the dewpoint is reletively the same wich means indoor reletive humidity should't be too much of a difference.

mine has nice leaves on it right now. the leaves increased in size as well, i think about twice the size before. i have this rajah under shade cloth outside on a table along with the other highlanders and a couple highlanders. funny that the sun has changed the angle at which it usually travles, some 20% or more. it gets full sun for a while now and the leaves are ok, no leaf burn. the olders leaves are the one i really see some leaf color change. i see yellow, red, and black.

Back