What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. villosa

Recently, several people have asked me how my largest N. villosa is doing, so, while I was working with the plants today, I took a very hasty snapshot of it. It's a pretty poor image, with narrow depth of field, but the relative size and quality of the pitcher are apparent.

As you can see, it is getting to an interesting stage where really all the characteristics of the adult plant are visible. It's not quite fully grown yet, but I'm hopeful that perhaps in the next year or two it will flower.

DecemberVillosa.jpg

woah....That is amazing! Great growing, Neps. What a fantastic specimin. Also, I think your self-critisism of the image quality is un-warranted. Sure, it's not going to make National Geographic, but it's still pretty darn good.

Thanks for your kind words, Schloaty!

Wow, that's a great plant neps! How cold do you get it at night? I have a couple tiny villosas that see about 55 degrees overnight, and they seem happy now, but I want them to grow up like yours!

Capslock

Wow! Very nice Sir! almost looks like it has two rows of teeth. hmmm
Very nice ,
thanks for sharing!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Wow, that's a great plant neps! How cold do you get it at night?

Thanks! Typically, overnight lows are around 3 or 4 C (37 to 39 F). BTW, my experience supports your observation that small specimens of this species are tolerant of warmer nights.

Jeff,

Very impressive, as usual. Did you grow that plant from seed? And how old is it now?

I'd love to know whether that villosa of Peter D'Amato's is still alive.

It certainly makes a contrast to my little 3 month old villosa seedlings...

Hamish

neps,
Great job.  You've obviously done your homework, providing N. villosa with the conditions it needs to thrive.  Beautiful pitcher - thanks for sharing the image.

KPG

Wow! Impressive looking plant there. I guess I need to add that one to the must get list!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Did you grow that plant from seed? And how old is it now?

It was quite small when I received it, about 1 cm or less in diameter. Don't recall exactly how old it is. However, I am certain that it is at least five years of age.

Wow beautiful plant. You said 5 years; that certine one must have grown extremly fast because I've seen cuttings of some that were 4 or five years old before they were cut and they didnt even had that developed of pitchers. Plus they were seed grown!

hey neps, off topic but realating to you,
i saw a cutting of that northiana you offerd a while back. a friend of mine got one from you.  all i can say is
smile_k_ani_32.gif

that thing is a massive cutting! about a node and a half but the thing was well over a foot long!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] all i can say is
smile_k_ani_32.gif

that thing is a massive cutting! about a node and a half but the thing was well over a foot long!

Thanks for the endorsement! Perhaps now folks will understand why I say that seventy-five bucks for a piece of plant material like that is dirt cheap! BTW, do you know how the cutting is doing? I surely hope that the recipient has been successful in rooting it!

aw man if you had any left ill take one but i dont have the money and the needs for it because i cant provide the lowland temps and humidity.

like i said i saw it in one of my frineds "rooting" tank and it was only one because it was that big. he now has two growth point and is well worth the money, hey, it basically paid itself!
smile_n_32.gif

Hi Jeff,

many thanks for sharing this picture of your very nice N. villosa! Is the black colouration on t he tendril rust spot fungus?

Cheers Joachim

very striking color and peristome. The present size must be 5" from tip to base?
biggrin.gif

Robert

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is the black colouration on t he tendril rust spot fungus?

Actually, I think it is sooty mold. Once in a while I'll see it crop up.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The present size must be 5" from tip to base?
Pretty close. I think it's about 5.25 inches or so, perhaps more.

Incredible plant! Makes me want to try one, but I want to make sure I can keep it cool enough in the summer here, before I try.

I have the N. northiana cutting Santos is talking about. I haven't really checked for roots, but figure it probably has roots as the growing point is putting out its second or third leaf, (and it is a 3 node cutting, not 1.5) This thing was truly massive. I had to cut the leaves in half just to fit it in a 10 gallon tank, (and it barely fits). I have a 20 gallon tank to move it to, to make it more comfortable, before I try adjusting it to my lowland chamber.

I bow down to thee! Absolutely wonderful...
Cheers
Amori

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]This thing was truly massive. I had to cut the leaves in half just to fit it in a 10 gallon tank, (and it barely fits). I have a 20 gallon tank to move it to, to make it more comfortable, before I try adjusting it to my lowland chamber.

Yes, N. northiana is a very large species. Really impossible to grow to maturity unless it is allowed sufficient space. Be sure to use a wide pot for it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I bow down to thee! Absolutely wonderful...
I am honored. Thank you!
smile.gif

Back