What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. villosa

[b said:
Quote[/b] (neps @ Dec. 19 2005,11:24)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]This thing was truly massive. I had to cut the leaves in half just to fit it in a 10 gallon tank, (and it barely fits). I have a 20 gallon tank to move it to, to make it more comfortable, before I try adjusting it to my lowland chamber.

Yes, N. northiana is a very large species.  Really impossible to grow to maturity unless it is allowed sufficient space.  Be sure to use a wide pot for it.
since i live like 20 min away and his cutting has 2 growth points, ill be the first to get dibs on that nothiana...
smile_l_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

Wonderful Jeff, that certainly made my spirits soar when I saw that image! Do you find/think that a regular highland specimen would do well in villosa's temperature range?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Wonderful Jeff, that certainly made my spirits soar when I saw that image! Do you find/think that a regular highland specimen would do well in villosa's temperature range?

Glad to hear that you found the image uplifting!
biggrin.gif

Regarding the suitability of the temperature regime I employ for N. villosa, I think that most highland Nepenthes would probably find it a bit on the cool side. I've only found a few Nepenthes which seem to require such very low overnight temperatures, among them being NN. villosa and lamii.

What a fantastic plant you have Jeff. I have seen several large villosa, 12" diam plants, grown by some of the more experienced Nep growers here in the UK, but none are close to producing pitchers on them as big or as beautiful as your plant. Thanks for sharing.

Simon

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Thanks for sharing.

Simon, you are welcome!

I find your comparison of my plant with others you have seen to be of interest. Can you comment upon the conditions under which these other specimens are growing? Perhaps we can gain some greater insight into understanding why the disparity you remark upon exists.

In any case, thank you for your kind words.

hey jeff,
u wouldn't happen to have a pic of the whole plant, would u?

simply amazing, jeff

Absolutely stunning!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

thanks for posting such an inspirational pic!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]u wouldn't happen to have a pic of the whole plant, would u?

I'm sorry, but I don't have one handy. Perhaps at some future point.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] thanks for posting such an inspirational pic!

You are welcome! Glad that you found it inspiring!

smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
neps, all i can say is WOW!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Just BREATH TAKINGLY BEAUTIFUL!! Jaw is dragging on floor and eyes are fixiaded to the awsome pic you took..
Thank You very much for sharring...
smile_m_32.gif
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Thank You very much for sharring...

Hey, Barracuda, thanks for the kudos. Glad that you like the pic!

Hi neps,i noticed the northiana and vilossa you posted have coloration very similar to those in the wild habitat.When you first cultivate did you have the same success rate,with the right RH and temp,did you compare also from photos in books or you have noted in the wild habitat:D

Robert

Hi Jeff
That is lovely,gotta love that peristome for sure.I havent seen any better than that in cultivation before
smile.gif

Bye for now Julian

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]When you first cultivate did you have the same success rate,with the right RH and temp,did you compare also from photos in books or you have noted in the wild habitat

I'm not sure I completely understand your question, so please pardon me if I don't answer you correctly. However, I think you're asking me if I've always enjoyed the same level of success, and how did I determine the correct conditions for cultivation, right?

Well, generally I have enjoyed a reasonable level of success. This has been due, in part, to quite a bit of reading I've done, as well as talking with others, and finally, simply due to a bit of experimentation and innovation on my own part.

Unfortunately, I've not yet had the pleasure of going to Borneo, but have been able to speak with a number of people who have been there, and consequently, have been able to get a reasonable idea of the conditions under which the plants grow in the wild.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I havent seen any better than that in cultivation before

Julian, you are too kind!

right Jeff,thank you for answering.

Robert

Neps, just saw your post...that plant is amazing!!! Can you please share with us how you manage to keep your temps so low at night? I live where it never gets below 45 F (and that is unusual) and really want to grow these plants as well as N. hamata, etc. I thought of icing down the terrarioum at night but there must be a better way. Any advice would really be appreciated! Great job and very inspiring!.
Ludwig

Ludwig,

I use a chest freezer which I've adapted for use as a terrarium. I wrote an article about this for the CPN some time ago, and also presented details about it here. Conduct a search in this forum for a former post I made; it should give you all the information you need.

Neps, thank you for the lead...I found that very helpful. I will try this method...which other Nepenthes do you think would take this kind of setup? Do you have any others growing in these conditions?

rajah villosa macrophylla hamata...

Back