What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

fastest growth

i was wondering what 5 neps achieve pitchers the quickest? lowland and highland species

Lowland is by far faster ten highland.
But you cant really measure the rate of pitchers coming out.
It has to many things involved.
Like a full thriving highland plant can grow by far more pitchers then a beat up lowland and vice versa..

'rokko' is about the quickest ive delt with though 'ile de france' isnt far behind as is 'ventrata'. my veitchii is almost painfully slow at inflating pitchers though it produces leaves at a good rate. if yah want quick growth and lots of pitchers quick most hybrids would be a better choice than species. basically it depends on what YOU like. i grow about a dozen different neps(mostly species with a few hybrids) at the moment so there is always something new to see every week. makes it nice so that your not staring at your single nep trying to will it to grow faster. as far as highland versus lowland both can grow quick but i would be more interested in finding species and hybrids that will grow well in my present conditions with minimal work rather than trying to do lots of work to get your growing area to suit plants that might not grow well, know what i mean?

Most all hybrids grow fast or so I've heard. I think its called hybrid vigor.
confused.gif

fast compared to what? i have an amp, growing in intermediate conditions that is growing faster than most anything else. yes the hybrid vigor is pretty much true but some of the species are far from slow pokes, atleast as mature plants.

thorelli X aristolochioides: I have a plant which produced 4 separate vines, keeps on producing upper pitchers without the tendrils entangling into anything, and 2 out of the 4 vines have flower spikes!.
This plants grows well in winter, but it goes berserk in summer. What else can i say. it's a vigorous beast

Gus

I'm with Gus! My thorelli x aristolochioides is the fastest grower in my collection, with basals, vines, pitchers, the whole works. Also, N. x Manny Herrera (mirabilis x khasiana) is a monster grower; it takes the inches/week title as it's internode length is about five inches.

Capslock

FC-Well some can grow slow...er. Not every hybrid will grow somewhat quick. Its like saying species are all slow growers...kinda
smile_n_32.gif
. Anyways the point is that hybrids have hybrid vigor but whats vigorous for for one hybrid could be slow to another.Wpah that took a lot.
biggrin.gif

In my experience a clone of truncata x veitchii (not sure which one) has been sadistically slow.

One of my fastest growing and pitchering species is N. spathulata. I don't grow N. thorelii x aristolochiodes (wish I did), but another N. thorelli hybrid comes to mind:  N. thorelii x xtrusmadiensis.  I've only had it a few months, but it's growing quickly and pitchers are produced freely and last a long time.
KPG

Not a species, but yeah I think ventrata in most conditions will grow like rabbits on speed. Pitchers included.
smile.gif

My ventricosa (possibly ventrata) puts out a new pitcher every week and each pitcher is a few centimeters bigger then the last.

Zac

For speed, I have to say that Miranda, Ventrata are the fastest in my collection. Ise de France is not far behind.

My northiana is positively in stasis. I've had it over a year, and it's put out three leaves, with a 1" increase in diameter. Bah. Bongso is also pretty slow.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (schloaty @ Dec. 22 2005,10:31)]For speed, I have to say that Miranda, Ventrata are the fastest in my collection. Ise de France is not far behind.

My northiana is positively in stasis. I've had it over a year, and it's put out three leaves, with a 1" increase in diameter. Bah. Bongso is also pretty slow.
Will note that when I getting around to acquiring a 'Ile de France'. Such a gorgeous plant, such a fast grower! Miranda too.

Your gotta have high humidity and lowland conditions for Northiana. Oh yeah forgot to add, if you look at a merriliana the wrong way it tries to go into coma. Mine did and I'm still trying to revive it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Oh yeah forgot to add, if you look at a merriliana the wrong way it tries to go into coma

Interesting point on the merris. They do slow down at the drop of a hat - but then REFUSE to die....At least mine did. It got a pretty bad scale infection, which I didn't notice for a while because it was at the back, and looked like death warmed over when I finally treated it. It has recovered just fine, even produced new basal shoots, and looks healthy as ever. It's first pitchers since "the fall" are inflating, and already have a nice red color.

Back