What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scale?

hello
smile.gif

at first i noticed some of the new pitchers on part of my ventrata (or that's what we're calling it this week) were coming out deformed. i thought this may have to do with the fact that it's a TC plant (my flytraps had some weirdness growing for a while) so i ignored it. then a week or so ago i noticed small shiny droplets under the leaves, with a raised dot on the top side where the droplet was. i scraped and poked at a few of them but there wasn't anything underneath them, so i decided to just let it be and to see if anything else happened. after moving the plant home, brown spots appeared very quickly where each droplet was located, and now more droplets are cropping up. i've been looking through books and on the 'net but nothing really hits all the symptoms... scale comes the closest (produce honeydew, can cause misshapen leaves) and it may have been exposed to scale recently since i work at the greenhouse and just brought home what i thought was a "clean" jade (unaffected by whatever this is, still), but i have yet to see an actual scale insect. what the heck is this thing? and even more importantly... how to i make my plant look normal again?
smile_h_32.gif

It may be just a lot of necter glands and bad pitchers. Dont judge a book by it cover.
smile.gif

scale looks like limpets and when you crush them goo comes out (yum!)

i go with dew. there are nectar glands underneath the leaves and as well as the tendrils

*sigh of relief* phew... lol still kinda inexperienced with these plants!

why the brown spots though? is this a result of stress or something more? i have noticed that all the spots are located on leaves that no longger have pitchers.

mine are black spots but they still produce necter so i guess its just with the plants.

Back