What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My little N. campanulata finally pitchers

Cindy

Staff member
It decided to return after one drop of diluted orchid fertiliser applied to the oldest leaf.  
cool.gif

camp311205.jpg

How little? This little...3/8" pitcher.
laugh.gif

camp2311205.jpg

Well you are right they are very small
smile_n_32.gif

Awwww, how cute
smile.gif

I don't think I've heard of this Nep. Where did you get it?

YOU HAVENT HEARED OF CAMPANULATA!!!!!!!!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

No Problem LLeopardGGecko you can know everything right
smile_m_32.gif

Its a quite small species which dont get pitchers larger then about 2'' maybe a little more Im not really sure.
But can grow high and does produce many rosettes on the stem.
It was thought to be extinct but was rediscovered by C. Lee (I think, If not feel free to kick me in my behind or something)

there is a little info on it.

Thanks TyFone. You'll have to excuse me, I'm a bit Nep challenged
biggrin.gif
smile_n_32.gif

For your inspiration, LLeopardGGecko.  
smile_m_32.gif

campanulata_montage.jpg

Ok, first of all: *drools*

Second of all: Now I need one of those Neps.

Third of all: How do you make your pictures look so cool?

You win.I am writing from surfing on my mobile phone amd as soon i arrive at home i will post here again!

You win.I am writing from surfing on my mobile phone amd as soon i arrive at home i will post here again!

Ok, and now for a mature campanulata (been posted before, I know, I know). You can see from the ruler in the one picture that this plant, even though mature, really isn't all that big.

100_1269.jpg

100_1268.jpg

fantastic! all i can say is WOW!

Very cool! I've only seen very few pics of this plant before, thanks for sharing! From a top view like that, the pitchers remind me of Heliamphora pitchers.

Hello Schloaty!
Time to update your pics,ehehe! They are old now!
Is your plant dead in the meantime that you want not to show us the new ones?  ;)
Anyway...here are the updated pics of my 2 Nep. Campanulata.
They are in 2 differents substates.
The first on is made of perlite and moss and the second one with perlite,moss and 50% of Coconuts pieces.
I don't know but untill now I am not so sadisfyed about them.
Maybe it is only question of time. Maybe they still need more light even Christian Klein told me that she also grow in light shading conditions?
From my point of  view campanulata is a slow grower. And  for you all?
My conditions are those ones :
Daylight with 25 Celcius and 65% Humidity
Night with 18 Celcius and 80% Humidity
See yah!
Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

campanulata_1.jpg

campanulata_2.jpg

Mr. Aga....You wound me.  
smile_n_32.gif

Interesting tidbit about campanulata (and merrilliana & bicalcarata as well, since they're in the same tank) - they don't require the rediculous humidity that I thought they did.  Just today I put a thermometer/hydrometer in the lowland tank.  To my astonishment, the daytime humidity was only 51%!!!  I assume that the night humidity went up a little, but not too much.  Despite this, my campanulata has been thriving.  I have since reduced the size of the openning at the top to raise the humidity, since the rest of the plants weren't doing as well, accept for, surprisingly, the merri.  The bical I mentioned does grow & pitcher, but not as well as I'd like...and forget about the northiana.  

Anyway, it just goes to show you that conventional wisdom must be constantly questioned!  The more I grow, the more I think that the secret to healthy plants is good lighting over good humidity (within reason, of course).

To address Mr Aga about campanulatas being slow: I'd say they're more small than slow. They may seems slow because they don't get big all that quickly - but they don't get all that big, period. Mine puts out a new leaf & pitcher about every 6-7 weeks or so. Not a speed deamon, but no slouch, either. I would advise you try to feed yours little, tiny meals. Fruit flies or something - bugs too big will kill the rather fragile pitchers, but the plant definatly responds to food. Also increase your light (speaking from the point of view of artificial light. I haven't ever grown it using sunlight, just flourescents).

Dear Schloaty,
I love to joke! Thanks for the additional infos about keeping your very cuties campanulata!
Last question : Christian Klein told me also not to keep soil too wet of campanulata .....could it be the reason of my slow growing? They are pitchering, so light and humidy is at least ok.I will continue to study them....
My gf has bicalcarata and she is in home without terrarium. it grows really fine....I really could not believe it! Really strange for a bicalcarata: she does not ask for high levels of humidity ( at least to my gf,ehehe).
Maybe I will post also a pic of this beauty. ;)
See yah!
Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY ( now out is - 8 Celcius)

I love my N. campanulata, that's why the picture's so cool. Love it enough to create the montage.  
smile_m_32.gif

Schloaty and Mr Aga, I am very encouraged by your experiences. The plant took two months to put out its first pitcher after it arrived. Then it grew very well until it flowered at about 3" across. The flowering took place in February last year. And only now is it recovering from that. It was a LONG wait for me.
confused.gif

Currently, it is under lights on my shelf. The humidity is 75-80% and above 80F. In sphagnum moss/perlite mix and watered only when the pot feels light. Did you guys notice that N. campanulata loves sending out basal as well as lateral shoots?
smile.gif

Cindy, speaking of basal shoots, look a little closer at my second pic, there. Also, I'm a bit surprised your flowered at a scant 3" across! Mine was at least 5" across when it first flowered (there is a bit of irony in my voice as I type that).

MrAga, I hate to recommend against the Christian Klein, but I've had the exact opposite experience with campanulata with regards to water. Mine likes to be watered frequently and kept almost wet. I sometimes let it dry out a little (but only a little), but by and large it's rather moiste. This may have something to do with our chosen growth mediums, though - Mine is in LFS & orchid mix, about 2:1 ratio.

Nice looking plants!  I love N. campanulata.  This summer I am going to get a few and try to grow them in a vertical postion in a special pot I am making.  Hopefully it will recreate the cliffside habit that is seen in nature.

Brian

Back