What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bend it like Bical!

Cindy

Staff member
I listened to Trent and bent my N. bicalcarata on 4 December '05. Here's what it is putting out.  
biggrin.gif

It stays here. Squashed at a corner of my balcony.

DSC02370.jpg

This is as far as it would bend.  
smile_m_32.gif
 An idea for its size...that's a 8" pot.

DSC02371.jpg

Basal? Or lateral? Shoot!

DSC02361.jpg

Cool! Cindy is that the normal type? I see a tinge of orange...

I need to repot and bend mine then!
smile.gif
Mines getting waaay too tall.

Cindy,
That's probably just the first. Typically, you'll get several more along that part of the vine.

How is this process done?

wish i lived in Singapore
smile.gif

Wow, what a great Bical! I can't wait until I get my first one
smile.gif

Do you have pretty high humidity on that balcony or does your plant just adapt to lower humidity?

LLGG:
The temperatures lately are in the 80s. RH is from 65-84%.  
smile.gif

JLAP:
I understand what you mean when you say you want to live in Singapore. That's how I felt when D. capensis die despite all our efforts in growing it and it is like a weed to most growers. I wanted to live in the States then! lol

Trent:
You mean that's only the beginning?! Wow! How come I don't see photos of vining N. bicalcarata with many lateral shoots online? You people must be hiding your plants from public eye!  
smile_m_32.gif

glider14:
Umm...I just forcefully push it towards one side.  
smile_n_32.gif
 Here's the plant when it was upright. It tended to fall over anyway.

bical_plant.jpg

Jason:
That's the same one you saw at my balcony. Sri Aman, MT.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Cindy @ Jan. 03 2006,2:32)]You people must be hiding your plants from public eye!  
smile_m_32.gif
i think so too!
smile_l_32.gif

New pics are forthcoming in about a month. Big Mama has eight basal shoots that are approaching a foot across each. It looks like bical jungle.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Trent @ Jan. 03 2006,8:55)]New pics are forthcoming in about a month. Big Mama has eight basal shoots that are approaching a foot across each. It looks like bical jungle.
I can't wait to see that!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Jan. 02 2006,5:54)]wish i lived in Singapore
smile.gif
Haven't heard that before, heh.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]New pics are forthcoming in about a month. Big Mama has eight basal shoots that are approaching a foot across each. It looks like bical jungle.

Now its really a 'Big Mama'!
smile_n_32.gif
I love the 'canopy of pitchers' thing that bical does, with the pitchers hanging down onto a bench. We in singapore live so close to its place of native origin and yet can't wait to see a huge bical in Florida...

Jason,
That's exactly what she's doing. Some of the pitchers aren't visible because they're up under the canopy. Only the few hanging over the edge of the pot can be seen.

Back