What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My baby has recovered

Well, my little N. 'Judith Finn' baby has recovered its ordeal that I'll describe later. Well, here are some pics of its new developing pitchers (which take forever to grow):

This pitcher is the largest, and the first to develop in the new terrarium. It's about one inch in length:

youngpitcher.jpg

youngpitcher2.jpg

Here's the newest pitcher, which looks a bit more promising than the largest one:

youngpitcher4.jpg

I really think I need to repot this guy into a 4-5 inch pot (It's been in a 3-inch pot for about 2 or so years). Does anyone have any good soil mixes? Right now, mine is in something like peat moss, lava rock, perlite, and some LFS. I got my plant bare-root from petflytrap.

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Here's the newest pitcher, which looks a bit more promising than the largest one:
how can you tell. to me it looks just like a pitcher of a brand spanking new leaf but if you ca tell its going to be good then tell me i need to know your secret
smile_n_32.gif

Well, the thing is that when the largest pitcher was really little and like a tiny fuzz-ball, it was long and white, while this new one is red-ish-green and squat. And that, in my opinion, is a good thing.
smile.gif

-Ben

Oh I see
smile.gif

i standard mix is 1 part LFS 1 part perlite and 1 part orchid mix (which consists of ceramic clay pieces, fir bark, and charcoal)

Looking good Ben. You'll have to post another picture once that pitcher fully develops.

Ok, I now think that this pitcher will open real soon, since when I shine light on the side of the pitcher, I can see the outline of the red peristome, and I'm sure it'll be very pretty. Plus, I can see a bunch of digestive stuff in the pitcher.

Here's a pic:

nep3.jpg

(Don't worry. I'm not an undercover agent for Sears trying to advertise.
smile_n_32.gif
)

-Ben

Wait a sec...you never told us the ordeal that it went through!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Jan. 15 2006,11:35)]Wait a sec...you never told us the ordeal that it went through!!
Oh, yeah. I guess I did forget. Ok, this is what happened to the plant:

About 3 years ago, I think, I ordered a teeny tiny bare-root N. x 'Judith Finn' from PFT. I potted it up into a 3-inch pot with some peat moss, LFS, charcoal, and lava rock. I put it into my completely sealed 10 gallon terrarium with a measley 15 watts of light shining on it (hey, I didn't know any better.) I often didn't water it for a while, since I just kinda was lazy or something. It stayed in there for like 2 years, until I moved here to Rochester, NY. I still had it in the terrarium for a while, but I realized that I stunk at this cp growing stuff, and my plants were dying. So, I gave away 2 of my neps, and sealed the rest of my plants in little plastic baggies 2-3 inches under a 15 watt light. My nep seemed to enjoy it there; it grow larger pitchers, grew fast, and there was a really tiny tint of red in the pitchers. But after a few months of them in the bag, I just got tired of having to turn their lights on and off all the time, and re-inflating the bag when it deflated (which it did several times a day). So, I just turned off the lights, and left them there. They sat there in the dark corner without much light for several months, until in October, I met some people over the internet who were friendly enough to help me with my problems, and answers to them of which I never imangined. Apparently, my plants needed a buch more light, and good circulation. So, I set up a new tank with 82 watts of light, and an good circulation with 50-60% humidity, and now my plant is thriving, a bit mangled and stunted, but thriving. My nep grew a short, thin stem because it was growing towards the light, since it didn't get much light. Its leaves were long, but now they're much shorter, and have a purplish color when they first unfold. And now I top water it 2 times a week.

I seriously think I need to repot this guy after he had been in a 3-inch pot for 3 years. I'm thinking maybe like a 5 inch pot. But the plant seems content right now.

-Ben

Ok, well, my plant's pitcher has opened up, and has a nice red coloration on the inside of the trap, and hopefully the peristome will color up nicely too. Now the trap is 2.5" tall.

finn1.jpg

finn2.jpg

finn3.jpg

finn5.jpg

(No, I don't grow it on this windowsill, but maybe when it's older)

finn4.jpg

New pitcher

-Ben

Good to see that your plant has come all this way and is now flourishing
smile.gif

Thanks. It's just that I wonder how long I can keep this thing growing in my terrarium without it taking over.
smile_l_32.gif

-Ben

Nice N. 'Judith Finn' Ben. I've had one for a little over a year now and grow it in my window. Yours may not stay small enough for the terrarium much longer, if mine is an indicator. When I got it, it was about 5"/13cm across. After 14 months it is 13½"/~39cm across. That's not counting tendrils and pitchers. Like you, I prefer to top water, but I don't let water stand in its dish too long.

Thanks for the compliment. Would my plant be able to grow in a hanging basket in front of an east facing windowsill? Or is that too low light levels? I know that it gets nice, strong morning sun from sunrise at like 7 (in summer) til around 10:00-11:00 (on cloud-less days), and a bit of shaded sun the rest of the day. Or, should I grow it on a west facing windowsill?

-Ben

I would try to give it as much light as possible, especially if it is indirect light. I have mine in a south window where it gets lots of bright indirect light most of the day with a bit of direct light that occasionally gets past the other plants in the window.

Well, here are some pics of the pitcher now (note the red peristome):

finn6web.jpg

finn8web.jpg

finn9web.jpg

finn10web.jpg

-Ben

Back