What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truncata question

glider14

Always a newbie
How easy is N. truncata(the lowland var.) to grow? yes i know it is slow when young..my conditions are about 80* day 65* night and 70 to 80% full time. is it a compact grower?

With those conditions you should grow the highland form.
Some people say that they highland form is faster then the lowland.
Truncata is kind of easy to grow. The only thing is the space question as it grows huge.

Realy those conditions arn't too hot? 80* is pretty hot... besides highland ones are SUPER EXPENSIVE(100$+ for 8 inch and up!!!!!!) when you can get a lowlander for 25$ for an 8inch plant. space isnt much of the problem if it get too big ill just trim it back
smile.gif
. my terrarium is 18x18x24 inches so it would be a while for it to out grow it.
Thanks for your help though!
Glider

i got a good price for the highland one

PM'd ya fc...but are you sreious about the temps? I know highlanders cant take that heat(with the exeption of alata, ventricosa etc...) But if you say so i might...MIGHT! try it the thing is i dont want it to die if i paid a hefty sum of money for it...its like getting a rajah and thinking that it could grow in lowland/intermediet conditions. You just dont want to take those risks ya know?

Truncatas (both altitudes) grow pretty quickly and get BIG!!! Highland will do fine at those temps. Highlanders really just need nightime drops OR constant temps at 70-75°F (most people say that wouldn't work for TRUE highlanders, but it does). If you buy size three highland truncata (in US) it is usually $60-70 for a TC plant and in excess of $100 for seedgrown. But if you're smart, you import a TC plant for $20 (plus shipping).

-D. Lybrand

i grow my lowland truncata as a highlander but growth is slowwed down till spring...

Back