What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes without roots!!!

ludwig777

Neps, Neps, Neps.........
Just an interesting obersvation...I was cleaning out the GH and found several Nepenthes ventrata who had completely severed their connection to the pot they were growing in.  The stems were very vigorously growing only supported by other plants but had no connection to their pot or any substrate and had no roots whatsoever, pitchering just fine.  

I read somewhere that they have seen N.lowii in its natural habitat that had left its roots system entirely. Like it was cut of for something.

I have read about how epiphytic species often lose contact with their substrate and exist as "rootless stems", and was wondering if it could also happen in cultivation.  Now I know.

Thanks,
Brian

Nepenthes airplant?
smile_k_ani_32.gif
So how's it getting its water/micronutrients? From the air or from the severed stem?

Lowii probably get the water trough the pitchers if I am guessing right. (because of the open lid)
But ventrata is a big
confused.gif

I've seen this happen quite a few times with mature Nepenthes in greenhouses, they basically become completely epiphytic. It will happen where the conditions are sufficiently humid. I even had a friend who hacked away at various Neps before going on holidays, just leaving the bits on the floor. When he's returned, many of the pieces on the greenhouse floor had kept on growing.

You'd be amazed at what happens when you grow cps in extremely humid/saturated conditions such as a terrarium or enclosed greenhouse. All kinds of stuff starts growing out of control with no boundaries.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SydneyNeps @ Jan. 11 2006,2:01)]many of the pieces on the greenhouse floor had kept on growing.
I am constantly fighting ferns in my GH as well...if you can imagine the growth habit of crabgrass, this is not far from what i deal with, with ferns. They even grow right on the wooden structure of the greenhouse. You should see how my Utrics have overrun as well!

I've got ferns spreading like wildfire in my open Nepenthes cage in my room. If they weren't so darn big, and produced so many spores, I might be more inclined to let them spread all over my floor
smile_n_32.gif

Back