What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. viking

[b said:
Quote[/b] ](Perhaps I'm one of the few dumb enough to try?)

Well, all of the "smart" people will be looking at your results and basing decisions on 'em, so either you're "innovative" or everyone else is more dumb.
smile_n_32.gif
I for one am interested in your findings as I live in highland conditions. If I can find one at a relatively cheap price, I might give it a swing myself!

Mine are growing in highland conditions right now as well then lowland in the summer. I know, I know, plant abuse! I have yet to have a nep that has not adjusted. Some do much better than others or slow during the winter or summer whatever the case may be.

My vikings from Nong have slowed but are still pitchering. The leaves have not died, yet. All of the plants still have their original leaves plus the new growth. I am very interested to see if they take off in the summer. If not I will have to arrange a better home for them. Please don't flood me with PMs suggesting your home
smile_m_32.gif

Glenn

Fines and having the plants destroyed by USDA officials in Indianapolis after them being sniffed out by beagles? Hoshposh! That would never happen!

smile_l_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Jan. 12 2006,4:18)]That would never happen!
Certainly not to an upstanding citizen from the really really red state of Nebraska!

Not if you arrange to have the box filled with rich colombian coffee instead of foam peanuts. (Typically the dogs are trained not to alert people of smells like this. It's how cocaine is smuggled.)

-D. Lybrand

BTW- that was a joke. I'm not suggesting people try this, and it probably wouldn't work anyway.

CITES permits seem to work pretty well. Drink the coffee instead.
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dlybrand @ Jan. 12 2006,9:01)]Not if you arrange to have the box filled with rich colombian coffee instead of foam peanuts. (Typically the dogs are trained not to alert people of smells like this. It's how cocaine is smuggled.)
How did you...
smile_k_ani_32.gif

If its that easy to find out the officials would probably have gotten a hold of it by now.

Doesn't work. I'm one of those officials.

Is this from experience? I've never heard of anyone actually trying to smuggle nepenthes in using this method. I think it's just cocaine from Colombia.

-D. Lybrand

Is this from experience? I've never heard of anyone actually trying to smuggle nepenthes in using this method. I think it's just cocaine from Colombia.

-D. Lybrand

-D. Lybrand

I have never seen coffee used personally(I prefer proper paperwork), but my two cents worth is to buy from reputable dealers when doing overseas.
In my case, I was awaiting my stickers to arrive(they forgot to send them with my permit) and I was buying some large red sanguinea and some ramispina from somebody who I made contact with in Malaysia.
I foolishly paid before sending the paperwork, and the person mailed the plants and lied aout the contents(labled as "children's toys").
There was a insect in the box too, and they were destroyed. I got visited by the USDA, showed them my paperwork, and thought all was good.
I ended up getting fined $2500. I ordered them, and even though the seller failed on his part, since I ordered them, I was a "smuggler."
I don't mind telling this story once in a while, if it will help others to learn.

Cheers,

Joe

Sorry to hear that, but thats a good story to tell..
smile_k_ani_32.gif

smile.gif

Back