What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. viking

has anyone bought any of the N. vikings thats on ebay??
rich

Er...how come posting to the link Est provided does not bring that topic to the foreground?
Just my dumb question of the day...

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Er...how come posting to the link Est provided does not bring that topic to the foreground?
Just my dumb question of the day...

Mmm, it seems to open it a new window, but that's it. Or was that not the question?

No matter what you'd like to do, they are just ornamental plants and there will not be anyone there to stop the illegal collection and selling of N. vikings. Yoss is correct, in Thailand they are a fraction of the price we pay here in the U.S.

CITES papers are required for any nepenthes including hybrids.

John

DONT buy plants without proper CITES papers...

I asked the guy about getting cites papers to make this more legal. Even offered to pay a portion of the costs, but haven't gotten a reply yet...

My guess is this guy is going to have the auctions pulled. If you don't get the cites papers, lol, it's YOU that risks getting a big ol' fine. Hopefully he gets back to you and gets everything in order for a good legal sale. If not, don't pay! Don't risk it! Instead just buy one from Trent at Sunbelle. He has them in this country, and they're nice.

Capslock

I just really like the low price tag. I had planned to just keep one, and sell the others for for $20. We'll see...

You can't bring plants into the US with all the proper documents. Lol can tell you...it's a lot of red tape and properly filling out the forms, and oh yes, pay for the documents. If you decide to skip the proper documentation, then be forewarned that if US customs finds your order coming thru, they will destroy the plants without contacting you. Your improper order will just disappear.

Also, the plants on ebay are not the size of the plant pictured. They are small rhizome cuttings and very touchy about transporting.
Thanks for the plug, Capslock. We are doing everything to bring Vikings to folks here in the USA., and to get the prices reasonable, but they aren't cheap, and it takes time to re-establish the plants into cultivation. Luckily, we are in a good place for lowlanders, and Vikings seem to like our place! I don't want to overstep myself here in the commercial arena...we just passed our annual Nematode inspection so we are California Certified.
Folks can always PM us. For cultural questions and discussion, post them here or start a thread. I'm sure many Nep-o-philes are interested.

Trent and Michelle

Slightly off-topic, but I thought N. Viking had been formally described and named as Nepenthes globosa or did I dream that?
cool.gif

Cheers
Amori

I could only ask everybody to wait just a little bit and you will have viking plants available worldwide at reasonable prices and without too many documents.
They're very easy to grow, let's just wait a few more months, and you'll be able to buy millions of plants through affordable, legal and honest sources, I'll give my help through Borneo Exotics and Wistuba, as soon as I get some material, and they will spread the plants very easily in Europe and the rest of the world. And Trent in the US seems to be quite near to put his specimens for sale as well...

"Viking" just grows on one island, and after the tsunami, ...you know...So please wait and don't give your contribute to the illegal collection of the plant in nature.

About the name, Amori, I hoped that was a surprise, but probably Kurata didn't keep it too secret...
smile.gif

Marcello

Amori,
I guessed that to be the name. Marcello said it was a simple, descriptive latin name but would not divulge until Kurata published. We had a little guessing game going on one of the other threads. I guessed N. globosa-simple latin very descriptive of the pitcher.
smile.gif

is viking a hybrid, cultivar or awaiting species approval??

Hi All folks,
As true Vikings appear to be very fantastic and amazingly diverse in form , colors, shape . I try to select the very best quality and made them legally affordable . Now my TC Vikings and seedings grow up quite healthy enough to supply the markets . Please don't support the smuggled plants. The baby Vikings would cost no more than 8 US $
Nong Thailand
VKAbest.jpg

Listen to this guy. About all the vikings originate from his source, and he will definetely do the proper documentation for you. Unlike all those dodgy sellers on Ebay and the rest.

If you want true to type vikings, buy from him (or any of the people who have imported from him). You can rest assured that the viking you are getting is legal and not ripped out of some roadside.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Just to clarify matters, ALL our Vikings come from Nong (sborirak)at Neofarm. The plants have proper documentation and arrive healthy.
I will say that they are a little slower or slightly more finicky than other Neps when it comes to adjusting to new conditions. They prefer to give up on the existing vines and start new ones from the rhizome. Perhaps this is seasonal.

Great pics, Nong!!!

Here's an update on growing N. viking in highland conditions. (Perhaps I'm one of the few dumb enough to try?) In any case, my plants, only a couple months in my possession, are SLOWLY adjusting. The original leaves appear to be dying. Finally growth has resumed, but the leaves are much smaller than the ones that were already there. It looks like I'll even get a little pitcher on the first new leaf.

While the adjustment is slow, I'm actually encouraged by the progress. Maybe it isn't as picky once it's established as I'd feared.

My nightime lows get down to the low to mid fifties, and daytimes only get up into the seventies.

Capslock

Back