What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rawr.. my bical won't grow

What's weird is that I grow most of my Neps on the tray system (Sanguinea, Rafflesiana, Ventricosa) and they all do very well, despite the fact that all I read is that you shouldn't keep Neps on the tray system because they hate to stand in water. Weird.

I'ts really humid and hot in there. I think the humidity is like 80% or something. The tempurature is 70-85 or so.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hey Cindy, when you repotted the Bical, did you encounter any difficulty? I am thinking of repotting my Bical but I've never actually repotted something so big before. Did you dig up the plant or did you turn the pot upside down to get the plant out? I'm just worried that I could cause it undue stress given that I read elsewhere that it's a fussy plant when it comes to repotting. However, it is getting quite big for its present pot.

I suppose this is OT but Cindy, can you share your successful Nep rooting method? I remember that you always have lots of cuttings to share and that probably means that you have a very good success rate with the cuttings! I am planning on doing some cuttings (primarily because my N x Gentle looks like it's getting very old and probably dying).

The last time I tried any cuttings, only 4 out of 10 (or so) worked - and 3 were of the supposedly very easy N.gracilis. I had them in LFS, slit the base at an angle, made some minor slits at the base and applied rooting hormone. I then placed the whole thing in a plastic bag, which I then transfered to a tank in a bid to keep the humidity (probably overdoing it) in. I watered by putting water directly into the tank, sort of like a big "tray method".

ebeyonder:
I turn the pot upside down to get the plant out. Place it in a larger pot and fill in the spaces with LFS and perlite. I do that for every nep that needs repotting. If you are using the LFS from FEF, New Zealand type, then that's no worry about the breaking down of media and such. So far I've not seen any sour media yet. Anyway, my N. bicalcarata is treated like any houseplant. Top watering when the LFS is dry on the top. Or when I lift up the pot and it feels light.
smile_n_32.gif

I root the neps in perlite. I only add water when there is no water in the container but the perlite is still moist. Allowing the water level to go real low helps to introduce air into the perlite and to the base of the cutting. Oxygen is necessary for rooting to occur. I don't make a slant cut but make minor slits about 2cm long on the 'skin' of the cutting. It is easier for roots to grow out in that manner. The cuttings are usually stashed away at a corner under FL lights but it works equally well in bright shade. No need for plastic bags, our humidity is ridiculously high already. Recently, I received some cuttings from Lam. They are in a plastic cup with tap water. The N. coccinea has rooted, just like that at my balcony. Not much light from our recent weather and with blistering winds.  
smile.gif

Hey Cindy, you mentioned that when you repot you use LFS and perlite. Would peat and perlite be ok for N. bicalcarata? My new bical seems to be planted in peat and perlite, although I'm not 100 percent sure. Will it do well in this soil or should I change it?

LL, peat and perlite is fine, tray method is fine. I'd be a little more concerned about the humidity. I don't know of one person who's grown N. bicalcarata without very high humidity. Not to say it can't be done, just in my experience it needs the moisture. See if the local hardware store sells plexiglass. For a few bucks you can get a custom sized piece of plexiglass to pop onto your terrarium for 90+% humidity. After all, the point of having a terrarium is to keep up the humidity.

If you still want to try growing the plant in low humidity, by all means - let us know how it goes.

Peter

You might grow bical in lower humidity, but the chance of it pitchering is Buckley's and none. It is one of those species that simply won't adjust to low humidity.

Thanks for the the help guys. I'll definitely try growing it with lower humidity and if it won't pitcher, I might go the plexiglass route.

EDIT: Hahaha, Peter, you're the one who sent me the plant! I'm sorry to question your soil mix, I was just curious  
smile_n_32.gif

Back