What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying nep

Hello, im buying a nep, but i dont know if it is very delicate, how to take care abouth she?, i wuz reading...., so koi fish food is good? or better non-fat (light) milk?, how much and how often?.

ok the best kind to get is N. x ventrata. its EXTREMLY easy and quick growing also inexpensive. it will thrive in a variety of conditions but make sure humidity is high(above 60%) and temps above 65*. for me it was very forgiving(its making a new pitcher yay). oh and use distilled water. PM for any other info
smile.gif

oh and i would use(depending on the size of the plant) insects for food. the pellets in my experience give great results but your pitchers wont last long at all (2 days after you feed it) you can get crickets at a pet shop.

Buy a nepenthes at your local garden centers. They are often cheap and easy. Try to adjust it to low humidity. If you dont make pitchers put it a little brighter and increase humidity.
For feeding just put it outside in summer. In winter you can buy some small crickets to feed it with. If you have any pitchers left as they usually die off in winter due to low light and humidity.

For further info visit this website.

http://www.nepenthesaroundthehouse.com

Get a Ventrada. I have one and it seriously could care less what conditions it is in. My ventrada has survived months of 106+ temps and 12% humidity and came out like a champ. Oh and feed it with bugs, they work the best.

-Rail

Note ImWindPlant lives in Mexico(according to profile).
What part of Mexico?
Joel's site deals with growing outdoors in San Diego, CA.
I was looking at average temps for Acapulco, as an example:

January April July October
Location High Low High Low High Low High Low
Acapulco (Mexico) 87 72 87 73 89 77 89 77

Those are pretty good lowland temps and I have no idea of what the humidity is like.
Now that is growing outdoors, but if you are growing indoors, you can control the climate more.
Where do you live and where are you growing your plants?

Cheers,

Joe

Hey thanks to all. In the shop only have mirando or alata... wich one is easier to keep?, wich should i chose?, well im goin to read the page TyFone says, i be right back.

i live in mexico, i move to torreon a small state is cold.. but not so much, i grow all in a indoor terrarium.

Omg i read in a page the miradna is highland right?, better pick the alata.

well no...miranda is a highland hybrid but it like ventrata can take lowland conditions but i will still say alata considering miranda gets HUGE like the leaves can be over a foot long
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Ok, so alata is easier to keep and smaller, good. i keep reading.

Hi Jose the lowlander like ventrocosa,truncata and veitchii are perfect. You are not going to just buy one specie,are you? Truncata and veitchii are truly a sight to behold:D

Hi Joel -

Since you mention those two varieties (N. 'Miranda' and N. alata), it sounds as if you are dealing with the varieties that are often sol in regular retail stores (I see them occasionally in my local Kroger grocery stores). There are a few things I can suggest.

First, the plant that is often sold as "N. alata" in these retail stores is most likely going to be a N. x ventrata hybrid. This is a hybrid between N. alata and N. ventricosa, and would do well in shady outdoor conditions in your area.

Second, the N. 'Miranda' would ALSO be an excellent choice for your area, IF you grow it outdoors. I live in Houston, Texas, and we do have colder temperatures in the winter months than you do. But my 'Miranda' and my ventrata hang on my porch until the weather drops below 50 degrees fahrenheit, and they do great!

BOTH of these will do fine for you as outdoor hanging plants, but both of these are also too large for a small indoor terrarium (my 'Miranda' has pitchers almost ten inches (25 cm) tall).

Hope this helps! I don't always get to visit each TerraForum topic, but feel free to e-mail me at houstonherp@aol.com if I can help further.

Good Growing!

Mike

Hey all,

I noticed that I was referenced to living in the San Diego part of California. I don't live that far south. I live more in the coastal area by Santa Barbara and Ventura. I only say that because I think San Diego is generally a little warmer than my area. But if I lived in that I area I would definitely grow plants the same way.

Every once in a while I'll see a Nep for sale in a local nursery. Usually they are small with a plastic cup cover for humidity. If take the cup off and grow it directly on the windowsill, you'll probably have some humidity issues and plant stress right away as your plant adjusts to lower household humidity. Plants purchased from other growers or vendors that are greenhouse acclimated usually are tougher. Most of the plants I've read in this forum from other hobbyists seem like excellent choices for first purchases.

And thanks for the "props" and the link to my site. I got a digital camera now so I can update photos more often. I just need the time to take the photos!! I've been lazy lately.

Joel
Nepenthes Around the House

Hey, i just wanna say thanks and u guys are very friendly, i got many post
smile_n_32.gif
, well i hope i can buy both... but they are expensive 18dls each... well i mean is someting, hehehe, i will tell us all abouth the plants, thanks and see ya soon.

Oops, my bad Joel. Sorry about that.

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ImWindPlant @ Jan. 16 2006,10:33)]well i hope i can buy both... but they are expensive 18dls each...
I know where you're coming from Jose. The exchange rate of US Dollars to Mexico Pesos is insane! There's alot you can do with nearly 200 Pesos in Mexico...

Good luck in your search!

Cheers
Amori

Hey, im confused.... who is joel?, my plants dont come to my house this day... the sales person say they will come later, cuz is to cool (i mean cold (lol)), im happy sales person take care abouth plants, well i maintain you all informed!
smile.gif

Hi Joe and All,
Actually, Joel is up in Ventura. That puts him north of LA, just south of Santa Barbara.

Back