What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highland Nep question

ludwig777

Neps, Neps, Neps.........
I would be interested to know how people keep their terrariums cool for growing such specias as hamata and villosa. What do you do in the summer to keep your plants cool? Are there electric coolers you recommend, small enough for terrariums? Any and all advice much appreciated (we face regular nighttime warmth here in SoCal).
Thanks in advance for your advice,
Ludwig
Nepenthes_unknown_hybrid2resize.jpg

I grow my plants outside here in coastal California, but I'd be interested to see what answers and suggestions arise from this topic so: BUMP!
smile.gif

Hi Est, Neps wrote a great article on this subject and had posted it here:
http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....er;st=0
Thanks again Neps, your pics and article are very inspiring.  
Ludwig

p.s. Est, do you have a list of plants you grow outdoors?  I am starting to try this here in San Diego.

hey i grow them outside too check my growlist on my signature...

*sent a PM to ludwig* Anyhoo, I should probably add a link to my growlist because a) it's not there b) I grow pretty much all of my plants outside.

Hey thanks for the input...I am starting to try plants outside the greenhouse this year.  I am so hooked on the huge plants the greenhouse produces I have not really tried to grow them outdoors but this is the year for experimenting!  I already have a venrata on my sunny windowsill and I am surprised how well it is doing.
Ludwig

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fc3srx713b @ Jan. 20 2006,12:52)]hey i grow them outside too check my growlist on my signature...
fc3srx713b, Long Beach, huh? If I am correct, LB's temps are a little lower than San Diego's, and your RH is higher, right? I am located about 3 miles from the harbor so my conditions are not as tempered as yours probably are so as a result I have larger fluctuations in temperature and humidity. I take frequent day trips to local beaches and notice the drastic change in atmospheric conditions even from where I live, and dream about growing Neps here in these ideal conditions. If people who live right on the coast only knew the advantage they have if they were Nepaholics as we are...here in SD they could grow the most amazing plants outdoors with a little caution only when the Santa Anas arrive.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ludwig777 @ Jan. 20 2006,2:50)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fc3srx713b @ Jan. 20 2006,12:52)]hey i grow them outside too check my growlist on my signature...
fc3srx713b, Long Beach, huh?  If I am correct, LB's temps are a little lower than San Diego's, and your RH is higher, right?  I am located about 3 miles from the harbor so my  conditions are not as tempered as yours probably are so as a result I have larger fluctuations in temperature and humidity.  I take frequent day trips to local beaches and notice the drastic change in atmospheric conditions even from where I live, and dream about growing Neps here in these ideal conditions.  If people who live right on the coast only knew the advantage they have if they were Nepaholics as we are...here in SD they could grow the most amazing plants outdoors with a little caution only when the Santa Anas arrive.
i think SD tems are lower than long beach. i live about less than 5 min away from the beach and the RH should be higher but not really. i get from 20%-70% in the day and 65%-98% at night with a good nighttime drop. right now we get about 40's at night...

Back