What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mature pitcher

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peanuts1gang @ Jan. 21 2006,9:34)]i have this N. rafflesiana. it has 2 pitchers, one just opened. i was wondering when it is ok to feed the pitchers?

upper pitcher
IMG_1059.jpg

lower pitcher (just opened up)
lowerpitcher1.jpg
Very nice looking N.rafflesiana. If I were you, though, I would raise it out of the water as most neps dislike being in standing water.
dewy

Ah, interesting. I used to get 'pinkies' for my leopard gecko Godzilla. I never knew they sold frozen ones. I'm willing to try them!

I don't think any of my plants are big enough (yet) for mice. How big are your pitchers before you start giving them mice?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Very nice looking N.rafflesiana. If I were you, though, I would raise it out of the water as most neps dislike being in standing water.
dewy

All of my Neps stand in water and they grow just fine. I think the key is to let the water dry up between waterings so it's not CONSTANTLY sitting in water.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Jan. 23 2006,12:46)]Ah, interesting. I used to get 'pinkies' for my leopard gecko Godzilla. I never knew they sold frozen ones. I'm willing to try them!

I don't think any of my plants are big enough (yet) for mice. How big are your pitchers before you start giving them mice?
As soon as they can fit in the pitcher.  Be careful that the plant is in optimal health when you do this and you should not get pitcher rot.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Jan. 22 2006,3:48)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Very nice looking N.rafflesiana. If I were you, though, I would raise it out of the water as most neps dislike being in standing water.
dewy

All of my Neps stand in water and they grow just fine. I think the key is to let the water dry up between waterings so it's not CONSTANTLY sitting in water.
I guess it depends on your growing conditions and the plant. My N.judith finn kept growing smaller and smaller leaves when I watered it via the tray method. Max pitcher size was decreasing to around only 1 inch. I then began top watering it and letting the top of the lfs begin to dry out before watering, and it is now producing 3.5 inch pitchers! It grew pitchers from 1 inch to 3.5 inches in about 2 months. So, I guess it all depends on your growing conditions and the plant.

Back