What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My patience with a truncata.

<span style='color:Teal'>Hello there!!!  

I bought a N. truncata plant in Oregon in the Winter of 2005, and it seems like it was hit by freezing temps on the way from Oregon to here, Puerto Rico.

NEPENTHESTRUNCATABURNT1.jpg

When my plant arrived, had 4 or 5 leaves, without pitchers and all the leaves were brown, burnt by cold temps. I cut all those burnt leaves and then it produced 3 small leaves with pitchers that never developed. This was like in January 2005. It passed the whole 2005-year and though the plant was always green and seemed to be alive, there was no growth at all.

NEPENTHESTRUNCATA23620052.jpg

I went thru the whole year with only 3 leaves and 3 small, undeveloped pitchers. But now it has produced a 4th leaf and the pitcher seems to be in good development.

Well, i have been patiently waiting thru all this year and now, finally my truncata seems that is ok and is coming back:

NEPENTHESTRUNCATAJAN282006.jpg

I just wanted to share this loooooong experence with you all.

Have a great day,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden</span>

wow nice story!  glad that it has shown progress

truncata can grow fast but for me its slow.  other people here one the forums will tell you something like: "it will grow fast if given the right conditions". IMHO this is true but i cant provide it with the proper conditions so thats why its slow for me...

Hi,
Truncata should be much faster, what conditions are you giving it?
Do you have the lowland or the highland form?

It could be the highland form. Was it expensive? Highland forms, even if TCed are expensive.

here are the two forms that i got

Highland:
N_Truncata_Highland_6.jpg

849N_Truncata_Highland_2_1_.jpg

Lowland:
N_Truncata_Lowland_5.jpg

Jorge, man N. truncata is slow! Mine was among my first species nep I ever bought back in 2001 and it finally created really big leaves and pitchers in 04 and 05! Had to chop it down recently but I don't think Ive owned a slower growing nep than truncata and truncata x veitchii hybrids. Have faith, someday....!
I was at the local orchid greenhouse early one morning where they have some enormous truncatas sporting 24" pitchers and one fell from the rafters after a good watering! It caused a hell of a destruction to everything on the shelves and tearing down other nep vines and orchid baskets with it. Had someone been beneath it they'd have at the least been knocked out!
smile_n_32.gif

I also have two truncs from different sources that look like Jorge's when he purchased them. What temps could cause that browning, or could it be related to humidity? Both of mine are sloooow growing. Other that the obvious diffence in climate preference, what distinguishes the highland from the lowland forms?

<span style='color:Teal'>Hello guys!
smile.gif

Thank you very much for all your comments. I have been trying to find out what is going one with this plants. And the only explanation that i find tyo its slooooooow development is that it has to be on its genes
smile_h_32.gif

I am not sure what variety it is, if it is  the lowland or the higland, but i guess it must be the lowland, because i do not remember have paid to much money when i bought it. Is there any way that i can find out, by only looking the plant, if it is highlander or lowlander
confused.gif

I do not think this is normal, all my other Nep's are growing like crazy. I guess that the environmental conditions and weather here are the correct ones. I live in the lower mountains of the north coast of Puerto Rico. Here humidity is most of the year over 75%. Temperatures normally are in summer 80's F to 90's F and in winter 70's F to 60's F. All my Nep's receive filtered sun-light the whole year and the growing medium is a mix of Sphagnum moss with Puerto Rican soil, which my other Nep's seems to really love. I do not water my plants a lot, becuase rain fall here almost every day.

But, what are the ideal conditions for a truncata?
confused.gif
 I thought it was something simmillar to what i have described above.

All i hope now is that i do not have to wait another year to see another new leaf and a new pitcher
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I'll keep the faith
smilie4.gif

Cheers,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden</span>

There really is no way to tell young Nepenthes plants apart, especially when they are the same species with two different climate types. But for starters, N. truncata highland will be distinguished by more hirsute leaves, like with a red fuzz for hair, darker peristome coloration and shape, slower growing habit and a larger size when mature. Lowland N. truncata, if it is indeed that plant, should excel in your conditions.

<span style='color:teal'>Well... My plant has a red fuzz on the new leaf and the new pitcher is covered by these same velvety red hairs.

But as the plants is too small and so slow grower, maybe i will need to wait more time, right?  
confused.gif

I wish i had a better camera to take more detailed pics... Well.. i'll see waht i can do
smile.gif

Cheers,
Jorge Joel...
Emilias' Garden</span>

hey could you take a picture of the horn?

<span style='color:Teal'>What horn? I am sorry for my ignorance...
smile_h_32.gif

Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden</span>

dont say that!
thats just what i call it if theres no name for it...
its located where the lid attaches to the peristome/neck part of the pitcher

<span style='color:Teal'>Just give me couple of minutes and i will go to se what can i do  
smile.gif
</span>

<span style='color:teal'>Ok... Here are more pics... These are closser, but of same low quality
smile_h_32.gif

You can see the horn... or spur... And the reddish fuzz over the pitcher...
NEPENTHESTRUNCATAJAN2920061.jpg
NEPENTHESTRUNCATAJAN2920063.jpg

And a closser look of the new, so long waited leaf...
NEPENTHESTRUNCATAJAN2920062.jpg

Cheers,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden</span>

Yes, that is called the pitcher spur, located just above the peristome neck and on the operculum. That looks fairly typical, I'd like to see a pitcher once it opens and colors up fully in addition to the physical appearance of the plant you've provided.

Ok Ladies and Gentlemen,
Time to give also a little update from my plants!
My Nepenthes truncata from Andreas Wistuba bought in Lyon June 2004 ( first pictures ) and the Truncata now ( picture of TODAY).
Give an opinion!
Bye!
Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

truncata2004.jpg

truncata2006.jpg

<span style='color:teal'>So, your advice is to wait untill the pitcher open and fully develope.

Ok.. i have waited for the whole 2005 year, i guess waiting a little bit more wont harm me
smile_m_32.gif

Mr_Aga Your plants i truely amazing... I am envious
smile_m_32.gif

Cheers,
Jorge Joel...
Emilias' Garden</span>

Don't worry Emilians!
Your waiting will be hightly rewarded!
Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

<span style='color:Teal'>
smile.gif