What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Neps outside

• Thread starter fc3srx713b
  • Start date
here is my setup in Long Beach...

nepentheshiglandsetup3gk.jpg

My camera's lens was replace and now am happy with the pics

here are the only two that get full sun

an unknown hybrid:

N_x_15.jpg

an intermediate pitcher:

N_x_13.jpg

and an upper?

N_x_14.jpg

and a ventricosa red:

N_Ventricosa_Red_10.jpg

some basals!

N_Ventricosa_Red_11.jpg

this one might flower pretty soon and most likely its a female if the vendor is right

Looks nice...I like the way your plants get toughened up by being outdoors; thicker leaves and more compact. I am starting to try plants on the windowsill with no plastic covering. It is still getting VERY cold here at night in San Diego, but soon I am going to try a selection of Neps outdoors. Enjoyed your pics,
Ludwig

I haven't seen your setup for a while. Looks like your gonna need a new table soon.

well heres a pic after i organized some of the pots.

nepentheshighlandsetup28ew.jpg

heres what i found while organizing, a maxima lowland pitcher. this one is towards teh rear of the table where it gets some full sun. along that edge there is sanguinea red, copelandii mt apo, alata(?)(possibly copelandii mt pasian), maxima x ventricosa, maxima, fusca crocker range, and truncata lowland.

nmaximalowland109vx.jpg

Great pics!

Is that a sar I see in there with all the neps? How come you don't have that puppy out in full sun with the other two neps?

i havent grown sarrs for too long, is that what i should do then?

Heres that new maxima pitcher.  the peristome always for some reason takes on a diffenert shape all the time...
nmaximalowland114ru.jpg

and heres a new thing that i found when i was fertilizing all my neps today!  this is from that unknown hybrid that i have outside in a hanging pot
nx164og.jpg

i guess that trick to let it hang over the pot works. could wind be a factor too? i know gravity is...

Nice setup! The unknown hybrid is great. I always like the look of Neps when the hang over the edge of the pot.

Brian

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Brian_W @ Feb. 04 2006,10:04)]Nice setup!  The unknown hybrid is great.  I always like the look of Neps when the hang over the edge of the pot.

Brian
I love that look too! Too bad none of my Neps are big enough to do that yet
smile_n_32.gif

I have a N. spectabilis x veitchii that I let hang over the edge of the pot. It formed two basals shoots within a month.

Brian

My N.tobaica's newest pitcher is over the edge of the pot
smile.gif

i wanted to ask if ash will do harm to neps? not if it touches the leaves but if it dissolves in the soil...

Some people put charcoal into their soil mixes already, so ash is probably OK. It is good for other plants and may help the Neps roots to grow. I've noticed the same thing on my plants, but probably worse than yours as I am closer to the fires.

yeah. its been burning for about some 2 days...
blues.gif

i wonder why the mouth is that curverd forward

upper pitcher?
65882770RL712525225.jpg

intermediate pitcher
65882794RL890224276.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i havent grown sarrs for too long, is that what i should do then?

Yes sir!  The prefer blazing sun all day long.  Brings out much better growth, and much better color.

If you've had the sar under there for a while, though, I would acclimate it to full sun over a period of time - not just "toss it in the oven," as it were.

Back