What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. bical

I just got my N. bical today and i have a question.  Is it normal for a N. bical to have leaves with over 6" and pitchers with only about 1" in lenght?
confused.gif

Congrats! Bical is a wonderful species which never ceases to thrill my visitors with it's nectar dripping fangs.

While the plant is among the largest of Neps with leaves roughly 36-40" leaf and but pitchers only 8-10" according to books and my experience with it.

With strong light, high humidity and nice hot temps, (days 80-95*F and nights 70*F+) and lots of feeding of insects you can get a large plant relatively quickly. I grew a specimen of N. bical from 12" diameter and 2" pitchers when it arrived to six feet within about 12-18 months under 400 W of metal halide lighting.

Sadly I killed it summer of 2004 by attempting to transplant the 5 gallon pail monstrosity by myself. My younger one has gone from about 3" diameter to 18" in about a year, and I'll of course get help on transplanting this time when he outgrows this container in another year!

I have a N. bical that's still recovering from shipping shock. Still doesn't have any pitchers
smile_h_32.gif

Swords,
Thnx for congrats me.  Wat u said does concerned me.

"Sadly I killed it summer of 2004 by attempting to transplant the 5 gallon pail monstrosity by myself. My younger one has gone from about 3" diameter to 18" in about a year, and I'll of course get help on transplanting this time when he outgrows this container in another year"

Because I just repotted mine with 100% pure LSF due to the media sent  to me was too dried out and I does not like it.  And could u explain a bit more on how transplanting the plant by yourself got it killed?  I am very interested to learn wat went wrong so i won't make the same mistake.  Thnx

Don't worry about transplanting your baby bical, I just repotted mine from a 6" container to a 14" tub it'll be fine. Didn't mean to worry ya.

What I mean on killing the big one is that it was simly too large for me to have tried to do myself. I didn't have anyone to assist me in the procedure of transplanting a six foot diameter plant and 25 lbs of potting mix. It was just too brutal of an operation by trying to wrestle with it myself and finding out I had to cut my pot off to get the plant out because the roots had grown a carpet underneath it into the water tray the pot sat in.
I'm still not 100% sure if transplanting is exactly what killed it but it died only a couple weeks or a month after repotting so that's what I'm blaming it on. It was perfect the rest of the time. I still kick myself for not just reducing it to cuttings but I wanted to try and flower it....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swords @ Feb. 01 2006,12:26)]Don't worry about transplanting your baby bical, I just repotted mine  from a 6" container to a 14" tub it'll be fine. Didn't mean to worry ya.

What I mean on killing the big one is that it was simly too large for me to have tried to do myself. I didn't have anyone to assist me in the procedure of transplanting a six foot diameter plant and 25 lbs of potting mix. It was just too brutal of an operation by trying to wrestle with it myself and finding out I had to cut my pot off to get the plant out because the roots had grown a carpet underneath it into the water tray the pot sat in.
I'm still not 100% sure if transplanting is exactly what killed it but it died only a couple weeks or a month after repotting so that's what I'm blaming it on. It was perfect the rest of the time. I still kick myself for not just reducing it to cuttings but I wanted to try and flower it....
Yes, cuttings that you could have given to me
smile_n_32.gif

Naw, I'm just joking! I'm very sad to hear about your N. bicalcarata
smile_h_32.gif
Are you growing another one?

Back