What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Healthy Roots

• Thread starter Trent
  • Start date
Hi All,
Just wanted to share some bical culture info that we've observed.  
We use 100% pure long fiber sphagnum moss. The trick with N. bicalcarata is over potting. Give them the room, and they'll grow into a tree sized monster.
Check out these roots on N. bical clone #5 red on August 15, 2004.
N.%20bical%20root%20shot%20no1.JPG

The roots of the same exact plant on February 1, 2006. In a year and a half, this bical grew from a 14 inch leaf span to a four foot leaf span!
N.%20bical%20roots%202-1-06.JPG

Healthy, happy roots = huge pitchers!
N.%20bical%20three%20traps%2010-23-05.JPG

-
Trent and Michelle

Very nice. I don't think there's any need for a scientific experiment to prove/disprove what you're showing us here.
Thanks for sharing Trent, great pics and very interesting as always!

Cheers
Amori

Don't you just love N. bical! Seeing your pics makes me miss my big boy so much!
smile_h_32.gif

But at least my new monster is making his way at 18" now so the big leaves are a coming!

very nice! Cool to know that they grow that fast.

A quick question BTW. How is the texture of the pitchers? Are they soft like mirabilis/ampullaria or is it like truncata?

They are very tough and woody. You can take your finger and thump the sides and get a hollow sound.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Trent @ Feb. 01 2006,2:25)]Hi All,
Just wanted to share some bical culture info that we've observed.  
We use 100% pure long fiber sphagnum moss. The trick with N. bicalcarata is over potting. Give them the room, and they'll grow into a tree sized monster.
Check out these roots on N. bical clone #5 red on August 15, 2004.
N.%20bical%20root%20shot%20no1.JPG

The roots of the same exact plant on February 1, 2006. In a year and a half, this bical grew from a 14 inch leaf span to a four foot leaf span!
N.%20bical%20roots%202-1-06.JPG

Healthy, happy roots = huge pitchers!
N.%20bical%20three%20traps%2010-23-05.JPG

-
Trent and Michelle
Hi,
that is a wonderful plant! Thats LFS it is in right?
And the plant increased by 3ft leaf span in 1 and half years!?
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Thats scary! how much light does it get? looks really red and beautiful!
Thanks

Beautiful plant! I really hope my N. bicalcarata gets to be as big and breathtaking as that someday.

It just first has to come out of shipping shock
confused.gif

If you just keep them in good light,hot and humid conditions they will grow really really quick.
A friend of mine growed his from 8'' to 2' in just half a year.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TyFone @ Feb. 04 2006,12:43)]If you just keep them in good light,hot and humid conditions they will grow really really quick.
A friend of mine growed his from 8'' to 2' in just half a year.
Would you happen to know the lowest temperature and lowest humidity you can grow N. bicalcarata at?

The low temp and low humidity tolerance will vary from clone to clone.  Steve Stewart was breeding a bical that could tolerate more cold condtions.  It depends on the individual situation.  
For us, the lows aren't the problem.  We have observed bicals exposed to temps in the upper 40's F for a few hours, with no problems at all.  As long as the day time temps are in the 80's or 90's F, and humidity is constant, the bicals are happy.  
Keep your bical sheltered and try to avoid any dry and cold air movement. In combination with warm day temps and high humidity, the cold temps aren't as much of an issue.

Thanks for the info Trent. But what's considered "high humidity"? The terrarium in which I keep my N. bical is usually in the 80s during the day as far as temperature is concerned, but the humidity is usually no higher than 50-55 percent. Would you think this is enough for a N. bical to thrive?

Like I mentioned previously, I think my plant is still recovering from shipping shock (was pretty dislodged from its soil when I received it) but I want to make sure I'm giving it favorable conditions for when it wakes up.

Ideal humidity is above 70%, at least 60% during the hottest part of the day.
Misting under the leaves really helps them.

Ah, then I wonder if there's any easy way to raise the humidity in my tank...Maybe placing a container of water in the corner?

Have you considered using an ultrasonic humidifier?

Chris

Hey Trent,

This might be a dumb question but will your monster bical every level out in terms of growth? In otherwords, what is the largest pot you estimate you could plant it in such that there would be no significant growth? I ask because I plan on constructing a small 8' x 8' greenhouse and it sounds like a bical may be a bit large for it, at least your bical would be. Also, growers mention that bicals are sensitive to changes in humidity. How big a change is too big. Would a bical suffer if the humidity was 80% at night and 60% during the day.

Chris

Chris,
Your humidity sounds about right. A drop to 60 percent during the day is not too bad and will probably toughen the plant. Even here in Florida we get low humidity in the summer during the hottest part of the day, and this is when you may need to mist or flood the floor of the greenhouse to create evaporation.
right now 'Big Mama's main vine is looking like it's time to top it off. I might have to use a machete it's so thick and tough. Also, we want her to put more energy into the ground shoots. We have other bicals that are in serious need of repotting, but we're waiting for warmer weather. When underpotted you take the risk of a serious crash. What happens is you have an undersized root system supporting the plant, which is now relying more on ambient humidity. In this condition, if it should get too dry at the roots, the plant will collapse. If the humidity drops, the plant will collapse. The only way to really stunt their growth is cool conditions-they grow slower and don't appreciably increase in size when conditions are intermediate/highland. I don't know what the long term effect might be. Maybe a California grower could make a comment. Our summers are so warm and humid we can't stop a bical. But we like our giants. They make a true centerpiece for your greenhouse, and even the huge leaves are attractive. A large bical is quite a sight and we consider it one of the botanical wonders of the world!

Hey LeoparG,

I had to raise the humidity in my terraria myself. I had them 80% covered, and the humidity was like yours durring the day. I simply covered them over a little more (to maybe 90% covered) and let some water stand in the bottom (I have rocks as a bedding, so it doesn't look like a pool). That raised the humidity so it rarely ever dips below 70%.

Wow that is an amazing plant,its such a shame i cant provide for it with those temps
smile_h_32.gif

Bye for now julian

Back