What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.macfarlanei

I want to buy a friend a nep, and she really like macfarlanei. She only grows a few cp: D.burmannii, D.scorpioides, and spatulata. Is this an easy plant? Low or highlander?

It's an intermediate/highland species. It can be a bit fussy to grow, notable requiring higher humidity to pitcher well. Other than that, it's the same as most other Peninsular Malaysian highland species.

I grow the mac, and I have also noticed that is really doesn't pitcher well if the humidity isn't somewhat high (at least 60 day & 75 night....better if you can do higher).  However, if you can provide these conditions, it will grow very well.

If you want to get her a really easy nep to start with, go with x 'Miranda' - it's beatiful, and (IMO) even tougher than x 'Ventrata.' It's a good one to get a little experience from, then she can move to slightly more challenging one...and on and on until she's growing macrophylla...
smile_l_32.gif

N. macfarlenii is a pretty strict highlander. It would probablyy need nights in the 50's. Unless you can provide those conditions I would recommend N. macfarlenii x ventricosa. Exoticplantsplus has a few nice, large ones in stock. It is also much less expensive than N. macfarlenii and faster growing.

Back